Grass Grunge and Blue Algae

BennyRick
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 27 times

Rescaped my tank with sand, and tried starting a sort of “lawn area”.
After a couple of weeks I noticed blue algae growing there
Off to the store today to get some blue algae treatment.
I also notice it becomes a sort of “grunge catching” area, all the plants are covered in the poo and rubbish of the tank, any way to help this? I suspect it won’t be helping my bacteria problem.
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

I think you mean gunge. Siphon it out?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grunge
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
BennyRick

plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5091 times
Been liked: 3436 times

I think that a mix of diatoms and the start of black beard algae.
Make sure the water is flowing right around the tank.
As above, siphon out what you can. You can spot dose hydrogen peroxide (3% or 6%) to kill off any remaining (use a dropper or syringe).
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
BennyRick

I’ve got a fluval 207 and a separate air sponge filter for flow.
How do I increase flow over the “grass” ?
The cyano isn’t much of a problem (it’s under control) but the bunches of fish crud building up is unsightly and not easily manageable.
Or do I need some certain fish/snails to get it up?
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

In theory the crud part is easy to move. If you establish enough of a flow at substrate level, or change the direction of the flow, everything that can shift will, and it’ll collect somewhere else. Moving bits of decor also affects this. You can add flow and tweak it to get the crud to collect somewhere acceptable, eg in the filter or out of sight, and easy to siphon out occasionally.

A small wavemaker / powerhead might help, low down, a couple of inches or so above the bottom. Ideally at the opposite end to the filter intake. It’ll give you a slight current over the bottom and move all the crud towards the filter. The flow might be too much for your liking though. You could hide it somewhere else, cos it’ll still add its flow to the tank and move stuff.

You could try a small internal filter at that opposite end, lying on its side blowing across the grass. A wavemaker would give a wider flow though.

Or have a filter pointing down to the substrate. If it’s strong enough it’ll move stuff and it’ll end up somewhere else.

Fish won’t work. A few fish eat crud but they’re not suitable for your tank. And they create as much as they eat. There’s not much nutrition in poop.
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.