Purigen or filter floss.

The science behind successful fishkeeping.
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 696 times
Been liked: 1686 times

Lots of questions at the moment as with the house move and filter experiments I feel like I'm relearning a lot of what I knew.

In the new tanks with the HMFs the water isn't running particularly clearly, so I was think of how I can do it. The is no floss in the filters to polish the water but I wasn't sure of how that would be possible. Would a product like Seacham Purigen in a mesh bag, chucked in the chamber do the trick?
Instagram - @the.cornish.fishkeeper
Staffylover
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 2282 times
Been liked: 1946 times

Hi Ben I can't advise on your filter as I've never used them, recently though I got a new tank set up, I used some soil in bags under the sand for plants this made the water very cloudy, as the FX4 has no fine floss I added an old internal filter in temporary stuffed with floss also added some water clarity stuff that makes particles clump together, after 24hrs it was a lot better, I am hoping this will be a 1 off thing once the water is clear it should stay that way, could you add a square of floss to the top of your filter like the set up would be on a Jewel internal? That always seemed to work well.
500l - Africa river - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6873
2x200l - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=7790
Others - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewto ... =15&t=7411
230L 6ft - Shallow stream
Roma 125l - Holding fish
Qubiq 60 - Dwarf Spotted Danio
40l/25L - Black- bellied Limia/Pygmy Sunfish
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

I’ve never used Purigen so I don’t know either. I would just pass it all through a “polishing pad”.
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

I'm not sure how well floss would work, and if it would just bung the uplift up a bit. I was thinking a bag of Purigen bunged in the bottom would do the trick, but I can't entirely work out what Purigen does. I asked in the shop earlier but she didn't know what I was talking about.

This is the filters, I don't see how I could get floss in the chamber effectively.

LookoutTrout
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 337 times

You could put the floss behind the sponge so water that comes in the top travels through the floss.
However you use it the floss will restrict flow, I'm not a fan of it for that reason.
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

LookoutTrout wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 16:25 pm You could put the floss behind the sponge so water that comes in the top travels through the floss.
However you use it the floss will restrict flow, I'm not a fan of it for that reason.
I was worried about the flow dropping, which is why I was hoping Purigen would be the answer.
Andys temperate tank
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Has liked: 4378 times
Been liked: 2896 times

I've used filter floss in my fluval u2 for years. (Just cut my own pieces from a sheet). It's never affected the filter, just swish it with the sponges.

I won't use it in external filters though. It clogs too fast.
64l kitchen tank: 16 golden tetra.
5ft 425L: 3 blue angel fish, 30 rummie nose tetra, 20 black neon tetra, 1 longfin bristlenose plec, 2 corydoras sterbai, 24 corydoras duplicareas,2 SAE.
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Andys temperate tank wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 17:59 pm I've used filter floss in my fluval u2 for years. (Just cut my own pieces from a sheet). It's never affected the filter, just swish it with the sponges.

I won't use it in external filters though. It clogs too fast.
I'd use it in a internal, but this doesn't have an impeller, just an air uplift. I could try it to see how it works.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1793 times
Been liked: 4249 times

You could try a flocculant. I use a pond one and every now and again when I clean the sump, the tank goes murky, so I’ll add a drop or two to the tank. Clears it up within a hour and looks crystal clear 😁
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5077 times
Been liked: 3432 times

Purigen will work well in a normal filter, I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work in an HMF as long as there's a flow through it......
Otherwise, @fr499y's flocculant should do the job. ;)
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian