Long unexplained crack on my mystery snail baby

FishAreOrange

Hello there I've been breeding my snails for awhile. And I always notice on a rare occurrence that some turn out like this. I'm unsure why? 95 percent of my snails are fine. I just come across one or two that have this? What is it? And how can it be fixed. As you can see his whole body is exposed. Thanks for you're help

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk
FishAreOrange

[quote="FishAreOrange" pid='16519' dateline='1542299992']
Hello there I've been breeding my snails for awhile. And I always notice on a rare occurrence that some turn out like this. I'm unsure why? 95 percent of my snails are fine. I just come across one or two that have this? What is it? And how can it be fixed. As you can see his whole body is exposed. Thanks for you're help

[/quote]Also I always have a cuttlebone on the bottom of my tank for all of them to eat. So I don't know why isn't not healing

PJN
Posting Legend
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time

How old do you think he is? Do you know your water hardness? If it's an old snail, and you've got soft water, then it may be possible the shell has just slowly degraded over time.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5091 times
Been liked: 3437 times

Should there be a photo to give us a clue perhaps?

If it won't load then resize down to 200kb, that's what I do. ;)
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Vale!
Super Mod - TOTM Winner
Super Mod - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 1302 times

Whilst waiting for your photo, the only potentially useful reference I came across during a quick Google suggested that it might be simply a matter of the animal growing too quickly.
FishAreOrange

[quote="FishAreOrange" pid='16520' dateline='1542300296']
[quote="FishAreOrange" pid='16519' dateline='1542299992']

[/quote]Also I always have a cuttlebone on the bottom of my tank for all of them to eat. So I don't know why isn't not healing

[/quote]Hello guys apologies about that I thought I did upload an image xImage

FishAreOrange

[quote="PJN" pid='16522' dateline='1542303128']
How old do you think he is? Do you know your water hardness? If it's an old snail, and you've got soft water, then it may be possible the shell has just slowly degraded over time.
[/quote]Hello he's only a month or so. Recently hatched and we have very hard water here.

FishAreOrange

[quote="Vale!" pid='16531' dateline='1542379898']
Whilst waiting for your photo, the only potentially useful reference I came across during a quick Google suggested that it might be simply a matter of the animal growing too quickly.
[/quote]Really? Is there any way of saving him because it's really bad his whole body is exposed I'm surprised he's even alive. It's quite big for a little snail like him

plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5091 times
Been liked: 3437 times

You can use superglue and put something (an old snail shell piece perhaps?) over the crack, but it's not going to grow with the rest of the shell, so may crack again somewhere else. Be careful not to get glue on the body. ;)
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian