Help With Neon Tetras Dying Please

DrawsWithLight
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 6 times

Hi all, I’m a new member but have been lurking for some time prior to my purchase of an aquarium and fish!

I have an ongoing issue with my Neon Tetras dying! I had them for just over two weeks and noticed on the Sunday morning a few seemed to be missing. I searched around the tank and found one of them in the plants, it had been dead for some time (pic below). I’m new to the hobby and I’m unsure how long it takes for a fish to decompose to this stage so can’t be sure when it died? Searching the tank further I found two more dead! Late that evening another Tetra seemed to be suffering and died later in the evening.

On the preceding Friday I added Microbe-Lift Special Blend and Thera P (Maidenhead Aquatics own products), and on the Saturday Microbe-Lift Plants Green. I also did a water test and there were 0 Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates. All fish seemed to be well.

I went to Maidenhead Aquatics on the following Monday, where I purchased all the equipment and fish, but they were stumped as to what has caused the sudden deaths. They did suggest the water temperature was a bit low at 22° and suggested raising it to 26°.

The following Wednesday another Tetra died.

I thought whatever had caused the deaths had passed but this evening, almost a week after the last death, another Tetra is showing signs of illness. This one has white ‘stuff’ towards the tail and is showing signs of stress.

As far as I can tell I’m doing everything correctly? The tank is a good size, 125l, with a Fluval 307 filter, with (originally) 12 Tetras and 6 corys and plenty of plants. The water is on the hard side but Maidenhead said this wouldn't be an issue. The plants are doing really well and I've not had any algae issues apart from some brown algae and bio film.

I’m using test strips to check the water conditions, I must say I’m not impressed with these as they don't seem very accurate, and I’m getting the following readings:

pH 7.6, KH 10-15, GH14

If anyone has any suggestions or have questions I’d be grateful. Pic of tank (before stocking) below for reference.

LookoutTrout
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 337 times

Hi and welcome.
Given you are using Microbe-Lift Special Blend I'm assuming this is a new setup that you added fish to straight away. Shops often advise this is ok but I expect the reason for your problems is your tank isn't cycled properly and can't cope with the fish load.
Try daily 50% water changes, feeding much less and buying a more reliable test kit as strips are known for being difficult and unreliable.

I had the same problems the first time I kept fish, I lost quite a few before things stabilised but back then I'd never heard of the nitrogen cycle.
Last edited by LookoutTrout on Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Linklater
Has liked: 250 times
Been liked: 90 times

Welcome. If you go to the guides section on this site you might find some helpful info in there. As well as the advice Lookouttrout gave you, you could try a different brand of bottled bacteria to help with the cycle. I use Seachem Stability but there are a few good ones. Maybe some more experienced posters could suggest some.

Good luck. It’ll get better
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1419 times
Been liked: 3414 times

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Sadly people often get poor advise from the local fish stockist (LFS). Some stockist are excellent, some not so good.
Firstly do not add any more fish for about 6 weeks.
Secondly reduce the temperature to 23C as this will be more ideal for Neon tetra and any Corydoras.
Thirdly purchase a liquid test kit such as the API Freshwater Master test kit (tests pH, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate) and is more accurate than test strips.
Ammonia and Nitrite are toxic to all fish and must always read ZERO.
Fourthly buy a dedicated dechlorinator (a product that removes or neutralises Chlorine and Chloramine).
When doing water changes add the dechlorinator to the bucket of fresh water before adding the fresh water to the aquarium.

There are some excellent products that can help with the cycle (you are doing a fish-in cycle which isn't ideal).
Tetra SafeStart, Dr Tims One & Only and Seachem Stability are the recommended and proven "bacteria in a bottle" products. You only need one of these products and always follow the instructions on the bottle.
I would suggest doing regular (daily) partial water changes (30%) until the "bacteria in a bottle" product and liquid test kit arrives.

On a more positive note; Your aquarium is looking excellent.

All the best
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 11 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)