Absolute noob need help

OhMyFry83
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 4 times

Hello there fellow fish lovers :] I'm desperately looking for some answers, I have watched and read quite a bit about starting planted aquarium but I'm sitting here with even more questions :banghead: I have 15 gallon tank in which I'm planning to have quite few plants some wood and rock probably dragon rock, for the substrate I have got fluval stratum. I'm planning to use co2 system from the start.
Now my question how often should I change the water through the cycle? Also should I add something like live bacteria start up and If so than how often?
Same goes for liquid fertilizer should I start dosing every day?
I really don't want to screw this up guys, help!
;)
Sometimes even fish need water ::crazy::
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1792 times
Been liked: 4246 times

https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/aquarium-cycling

Have a read through this guide, hopefully will answer a few questions you have.

You can use co2 and ferts from the start, which will also help remove excess nutrients.

Oh and welcome to AF-UK
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5072 times
Been liked: 3430 times

Welcome to the forum. :D
Just be careful with CO2 during the cycle as it can (if your water is soft anyway) stop the cycle from working when all the carbonates get used up. ;)
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
OhMyFry83

Thank you I will keep this in mind ;) but then I think I'm safe when it comes to hardness as mine is more on the other side of the spectrum :)
What is your opinion on the frequency of water change during the cycle? from what I gathered first week 50% every day then every second day in week 2 and so on....
Does that apply to planted aquariums as well? in my head plants should process quite a portion of all the nutrients, right? And talking about the nutrients should I add some liquid fertiliser using reach nutrient substrate already?
I have learned a lot from my mere 25L first tank, which did not go without a few dead mollies :( and my already established tank to go all 180 but that was some valuable lessons. In my new tank I want to minimize fish loss to 0 same go for melting plants, I'm sure I will come across some hard points but then again each of them will be jet another lesson.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner

I believe thats only if you are doing a fish in cycle (not recommended!) as changing the water every day defeats the object of dosing ammonia and letting the filter do its job.
OhMyFry83

I will definitely go with no fish cycle just add some flakes every now and then along with liquid beneficial bacteria. So you say is better not to do water changes at the beginning and let the beneficial bacteria colonise. Some people said to do first water change when Ammonia and nitrite drop to 0 and nitrate starts to rise I wonder how much truth is in that.
Well I must do much more reading before I start scaping my new tank.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner

yes, water change when ammonia and nitrite are dropping to 0 over night as the nitrates tend to be sky high.
OhMyFry83

Thank you fr499y will do.