Snails

Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1419 times
Been liked: 3414 times

Snails and snail eggs often come in on plants or in the bag that the fish have arrived in.
The only real way to eradicate snails is to remove everything from the aquarium and basically start again.
That's remove all the plants, decor and substrate and give the tank a good clean.
The plants and substrate need disposing of and any decor needs a scrub and rinse with boiling water.
Now; that sounds quite bad but image doing that on a 6 foot aquarium. I've done it twice.
A smallish 50cm aquarium is much easier.

I only buy plants from reputable suppliers such as Aquarium Gardens, Aqua Essentials or Pro Shrimp as their plants are good quality, chemical free and 99.9% snail free.
I never buy plants from the local stockist or ebay.

As I said I've done that twice on my 6 foot aquarium. That was a lot of sand and plant substrate together with plants that were removed and disposed of.
The first time snails came in on plants (I learned my lesson) but the second time snails came in the bag that the fish arrived in.
Little, tiny malaysian trumpet snails (MTS) which were hardly noticeable were in a bag with some Corydoras fish from my local stockist.
MTS are live bearers. A single female MTS can reproduce without a male being present (parthenogenesis). A single female can multiply to produce a whole colony.

I consider snails as pests whilst others welcome snails.

All the best
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 11 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)