Tank upgrade

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
mikeyboy123
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 46 times

Oh, and the dimensions of the shaker 168 are 70 x 40 x 60. Is there a particular reason why you have decided on a tall tank? At a given tank volume, it is almost always better to sacrifice height for a bit more length if you can, unless of course you plan on keeping fish that require a taller tank. A shallower tank with a footprint of say 90 x 45 would give you so many more options for stocking than the shaker 168.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1800 times
Been liked: 4287 times

Would be nice for a pair of angels though.
Brianh
Been liked: 9 times

What’s the advantage of sand over gravel?
I personally just like the look of gravel over sand.
Cheers
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1422 times
Been liked: 3421 times

Sand is better for some fish species such as Cichlids and Corydoras.
Gravel will erode the Corydoras sensitive barbels and prevent Cichlids and Corydoras from foraging properly.
Sand is also easier to clean as any debris sits on the surface and therefore can be sucked up easily with a syphon during water changes. Gravel requires you to get deep into the gravel to pick up any debris.
If going with live plants then a plant substrate topped with sand is easier for planting and easier for plants to set roots.
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 13 x Cory caudimaculatus, 10 x Cory sterbai 49 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)

Powered by EHEIM
Brianh
Been liked: 9 times

Thanks Stephen.
Does sant sit on top of the substrate? In my head would sink to the bottom.

I noticed the earlier comment however and sounds like I may not need any additional substrate for the plants I’m planning on using.

I thought that the plants would likely come loose in just sand and that would be able to anchor better in gravel.
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1422 times
Been liked: 3421 times

Brianh wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 13:53 pm Thanks Stephen.
Does sand sit on top of the substrate? In my head would sink to the bottom.

I noticed the earlier comment however and sounds like I may not need any additional substrate for the plants I’m planning on using.

I thought that the plants would likely come loose in just sand and that would be able to anchor better in gravel.
You put a layer of plant substrate down to about 1cm deep (I recommend Tropica Substrate).
This will be heavier than sand and will anchor (and feed) the roots of any plants.
You then put a layer of sand over the substrate at least 2cm deep. I probably have 2cm of sand at the front and probably 4cm at the rear.

The image above was taken 2 months ago, the Amazon swords have now reached the surface of the water.
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 13 x Cory caudimaculatus, 10 x Cory sterbai 49 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)