Tank upgrade

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
Brianh
Been liked: 9 times

Hi guys, have lurked around the forums and used in the past but now finally joined.

I’m looking to upgrade my tank, and wanted some advice / reassurance!

I currently have a small fluval spec (19l). Has been running for around 3 years with 4 cherry barb, an Otto, 4 Amano shrimp a couple of red cherry shrimp. I did have more cherry’s due to breeding but the fish discovered they liked the taste of them last year when I was on holiday! No fish casualties in the 3 years. I have a few live plants.

I’m upgrading to a fluval shaker 168L.
For initial set up will have gravel substrate, thinking a large piece of wood for the centre piece. Will have a section at the back with some fluval stratum under the gravel for a planted section. For the plants going with “easy” to start with - some Amazon swords, val, Java fern (on the wood) and crypts and will add some root tabs.

I will do a fish-less cycle but transfer over some rocks, gravel and a bit of filter from the existing tank to hopefully speed it up then add my existing fish when complete.

I was thinking of maybe adding a sponge filter or air stone to help with the oxygenation. I read on some reviews this can help with that and flow on this tank?

Will need to read up a bit on external filter maintenance but from what I have read the fluval one is good.

Any other tips on upgrading or anything I have missed / doing wrong?

Also fish advice for this size of tank welcome, I have soft Scottish water.

Cheers everyone!
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1797 times
Been liked: 4263 times

Welcome to AF-UK

Plenty of tetras prefer soft water, there’s a few species of rainbow fish that would love it.
I’d look around and see what you like the look of, post the list and someone like @Stephen would be able to give you a good reliable recommendation of what’s compatible 😁

For filters, it’s always a good idea to swap the kit filter for the next model up, so if it comes with a 307 (is that the current range?) try and get them to swap it for a 407 and pay the little extra cost. It will be worth it in the long run and you wouldn’t need any extra pumps/filters in the tank.
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1422 times
Been liked: 3421 times

Hi Brian and welcome to the forum.

Consider using sand as a substrate as you'll have better options such as Corydoras.
Tropica plant substrate under sand works well.

How hard is your water ?
Unsure then which town do you live ?

All the best
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 13 x Cory caudimaculatus, 10 x Cory sterbai 49 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)