Newbie, but I have a plan.....and would like it checked!

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
LookoutTrout
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 337 times

Have you got enough tubing to put the outlet and inlet at opposite ends?
adm
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Been liked: 91 times

I do have plenty of tubing. But most of what I have read suggests having them both on the short end so that the flow makes a complete circuit rather than linearly across the tank. But it does seem to be a contentious subject….

I’d be interested in your thoughts….I haven’t run the plumbing yet, so all options are open.
LookoutTrout
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 337 times

I hadn't heard an argument like that for putting them together, the outflow is unlikely to be strong enough to make a circuit all round the tank.
I don't know if anyone has tried both to see the difference.
adm
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

So I am making a late night of it. I have a load of plants in, the filter all plumbed in (leaving both inlet and outlet on the short side for now, and it's gradually filling up.

Once it's full, I will add some dechlorinator (I have Tetra Aqua Safe) turn on the heater and filter and leave it running overnight. Then probably give the pre-filter a good clean in the morning, check the water and dump in some Ammonia to start the cycle.

CO2 regulator hasn't turned up yet, but should be here in the next day or two. I do have some API liquid CO2 stuff, so may add some of that.

plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5083 times
Been liked: 3435 times

You shouldn't need too much in the way of ferts during the cycle - the plants will use micro amounts of the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate (I can't remember which they tend to use first).
I'd be tempted to leave it until the cycle is complete. ;)
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
adm
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Cool. Will leave the ferts out in that case.

The tank made it through the night and the water is clearing nicely. I only had one small rock plant float off overnight. The others all seem nice and secure and are glued down with JBL Haru glue.

I was a bit worried I would come down this morning to 130 litres of water on the floor, but there are no leaks and everything seems to be running fine. There was not much visible muck in the pre-filter - and I am pleased I bought the Oase filter with the pre-filter because it took a grand total of about 2 minutes to take it out and clean it. I didn't even spill any water....
DrawsWithLight
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 6 times

As above I don't think you'll need to fertilize just yet. It looks like you've used aquasoil? I'm relatively new to aquascpaing but IIRC from watching many MJ Aquascaping YouTube videos, he does daily water changes for the first week or so, as the soil releases a lot of nutrients into the water column. If you haven't already done so maybe check out his channel?
adm
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

I did the first water test a bit earlier. Results were:

pH: 6.8
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrites: 0ppm
Nitrates: 0ppm

Which I guess is what you would expect as it was just filled with chlorinated tap water last night. The only thing of note is that my tap water tests around 7.2pH by itself, so maybe the Tetra Aqua Safe has brought it down a little.

I added 5.4ml of Ammonia and let it run for an hour and just tested it again now. The Ammonia reading is right on the money at 4.0ppm, so I guess I have now officially started the cycling process. How exciting!
adm
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

DrawsWithLight wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:50 am As above I don't think you'll need to fertilize just yet. It looks like you've used aquasoil? I'm relatively new to aquascpaing but IIRC from watching many MJ Aquascaping YouTube videos, he does daily water changes for the first week or so, as the soil releases a lot of nutrients into the water column. If you haven't already done so maybe check out his channel?
I used a big tub of Tetra Complete Substrate on the very bottom, and then the top layer is Fluval Stratum aqua soil. Then a nice big piece of driftwood that goes the whole length of the tank and some dragon stone to hold it down.

I will check out his channel for sure. I was just now thinking about water changes and what I should do about that. I am going away for a week on Saturday afternoon, so won't be able to do any after that point - and I don't want to ask my last homebound child to do it, because he will likely cock it up, so it's going to have to sit with the same water for a week until I get back.

The cycling guide on this site doesn't mention any water changes until the nitrate spikes, so I am not really sure. In any case, I am going to need to get myself one of those "Python" things to easily do water changes. I have a small toilet very close to the tank, so that's a good water source and drain location if I can get the Python to connect to my basin tap...
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1797 times
Been liked: 4263 times

yeah, don't do water changes as it defeats the object of adding ammonia.. The aqua soil will slowly give off ammonia for a few weeks, so that will help keep it topped up. Only water change if the PH and hardness drop down too low as the cycle can stall ( or if you have accidently dosed way too much ammonia )