A Fresh Start

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4261 times
Been liked: 3920 times

black ghost wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:55 am ”Copper can be toxic to some sensitive fish species and is highly toxic to many invertebrate species. Even for more tolerant species, chronic copper use can damage gills, kidneys, spleens, and other organs and systems. Copper will depress the immune system.”[/]
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/FA165

Thank you for that link, although took a while to understand it with my limited knowledge.

Very odd why my reply has come out in italic? :dodgy2:
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
BalloonMolly
Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 46 times

A second guppy passed away overnight. Colour were vibrant and it wasn't very big, but hadn't passed any poo in days despite eating pea and having a very full belly. I thought he'd been a bit better after interacting with the other fish last night but apparently not.

Did a small water change last night and will do another later.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5072 times
Been liked: 3429 times

Sorry to hear. :(
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Martinspuddle

Sorry that lost some, how are you getting on now?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BalloonMolly

Thanks for checking in.

The older guppy finally passed a couple of days ago. One of the other smaller Endlers also died quite suddenly overnight last night as well. I am really confused about what to do. Water parameters are still pristine, I've been doing 10-15% water changes every 2 days.

The little Endler who died was a little pale in colour (but always had been because it was so small), but isolated itself from the rest of the group a bit yesterday and had also been "flashing" against decorations a few times over the past few days. So I'm presuming that it wasn't healthy, but it didn't seem close to death at all last night. I might try a course of anti-parasite medication as the flashing would seem to indicate something internal but I don't want to add stuff to the water if it's not needed.

On the plus side, two other guppies I've been quarantining for the past couple of weeks are seeming very happy and healthy. I just hope that I manage to rid my current stock of whatever is ailing them so that they can have more company soon.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5072 times
Been liked: 3429 times

How hard is your water?
Guppies and endlers don't like it too hard (like swordtails and mollies) and seem to do better when it's between 7dGH and 11dGH, whereas the bigger livebearers prefer it above 11dGH.
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
BalloonMolly

Ok, this might be part of it then. My tanks sit at around 16dH (the quarantine was reading 380ppm TDS when I used my new meter the other day!). I had always thought they were "real hard water" fish... So I won't go for getting any more.
BalloonMolly

I'm hoping to get hold of my RO unit from a family member to see whether it'll reduce the hardness adequately, even if I mix some RO with tap water. If it's a bit old (though I didn't use it very much) I might think about replacing it.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1792 times
Been liked: 4245 times

new filters and it should be good to go! I'd recommend doing it anyway if its been sitting as they need to stay wet. remember to stay with little RO and work up from there. a 70/30 mix is usually more than enough ( Tap/RO )
Martinspuddle

fr499y wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:02 am new filters and it should be good to go! I'd recommend doing it anyway if its been sitting as they need to stay wet. remember to stay with little RO and work up from there. a 70/30 mix is usually more than enough ( Tap/RO )
@BalloonMolly, to add, from experience get yourself a TDS meter, you'll find it very helpful and so much easier to monitor your RO/Tap water levels.

These are not expensive and found online or in Aquatic stores.