adm's 1st tank

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4253 times
Been liked: 3917 times

It's always upsetting finding fish like this and I remember how distressing it was finding my Longnose hawkfish (Oxycirrhites typus) had managed to get out onto the condensation trays on my then marine aquarium.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
adm
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Been liked: 91 times

Well, damn....I thought I had posted this earlier this week. But apparently not. So here we go again.

In fish news, I found one dead Ram floating belly up on Monday. No idea what killed him/her, but maybe it was a delayed reaction to the Ich breakout. It looked perfectly healthy, just dead as a Dodo and I had not noticed any strange behaviour the day before.

So this led me to examine all the other inmates in more detail. One of the other Rams was growing a bump on his head, and over the next day or so, developed a white nodule next to it. Googling, I think this is "Hole in the Head" (HITH) disease maybe caused by Hexamita? Pic is below and any thoughts gratefully received. He/She seems absolutely fine right now apart from this.

I read that this could be caused by stress from poor water quality or the Hexamita parasite - but the water is great and has been stable for weeks/months. So any thoughts on how to treat this?

Other than that, I had a really good trim of plants. Pulled out loads of Java moss that had been growing like crazy, cut back Crypts, Sword and Rotala. Turns out, the plants had been really creeping up on me and I removed an awful lot of vegetation. There is now much more free space for swimming around and all the inmates appear to like it, especially the Tetras who have found some new areas to hang out in.

Sarah
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 237 times

The tank looks great.
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

Head looks very swollen, maybe popeye aswell? Probably a concoction of diseases which is very common in these poorly farm bred Rams. As for treatment, your guess is as good as mine. I don’t have much hope for it at this advanced stage.
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
Staffylover
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 2275 times
Been liked: 1945 times

Sorry about your Ram, they do have a reputation for being sickly/ difficult to keep, your tank looks great though, you must be really proud of it :)
500l - Africa river - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6873
2x200l - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=7790
Others - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewto ... =15&t=7411
230L 6ft - Shallow stream
Roma 125l - Holding fish
Qubiq 60 - Dwarf Spotted Danio
40l/25L - Black- bellied Limia/Pygmy Sunfish
adm
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

black ghost wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 20:21 pm Head looks very swollen, maybe popeye aswell? Probably a concoction of diseases which is very common in these poorly farm bred Rams. As for treatment, your guess is as good as mine. I don’t have much hope for it at this advanced stage.
Sadly...me neither. Should I euthanise it do you think? It seems happy enough, but I don't want it infecting others....
adm
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Staffylover wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 20:27 pm Sorry about your Ram, they do have a reputation for being sickly/ difficult to keep, your tank looks great though, you must be really proud of it :)
Thank you very much. To be honest, although I am pleased with it, I keep thinking about what I would/should do better next time. It's definitely been a learning experience!
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5064 times
Been liked: 3426 times

Waterlife Octozin for HITH and (besides all the things on the web) a good varied diet is essential to build the fish up, and of course garlic for the immune system. ;)
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Martinspuddle
Has liked: 4253 times
Been liked: 3917 times

Ramirezi has always been tricky to keep, think mainly due to our hard water parameters and I do agree with Mr. Ghost the way they've been bred hasn't helped.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
adm
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

I have ordered some Waterlife Octozin which should be here on Monday, and we will see what happens.

But given that he/she is probably going to die at some point, I guess I should think about a couple of new fish in the near future.

Any thoughts on something red or yellow that would look nice and do well with the Tetras and Gouramis? Similar size to the Rams or Gouramis would be good.