adm's 1st tank

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
adm
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Been liked: 91 times

I have been mooning around in the Newbie section, asking countless questions and receiving the benefit of much wisdom.

I have now got my first ever tank up, running and cycling. I am still very much a newbie, but thought that now it is all running I should start a tank log.

My goal with this is really to make something beautiful as well as learning how to keep fish and create aquascapes. I kept seeing pictures of lovely aquascapes on the web and of course the more I looked at them, the more they kept popping up. Google is quite scary sometimes. But it did make me wonder if I could do that, so I took the plunge. I do a lot of Zoom calls from home at work and I thought that a gorgeous aquascape as a backdrop would be quite neat.

Anyway....some information about me. I used to be an engineer but ended up in management of technical businesses. I love the high tech approach to everything even if it isn't justified. I always overthink things, plan in detail and I guess I am pretty anal/OCD....

But going against those lines, I happened to be driving past a garden centre the other day that had a "World of Water" franchise, so on impulse I stopped to see if I could chat with someone. Error, I know....but I did end up impulse buying an Aqua One 130L Horizon tank as I thought it had quite clean lines aesthetically. In hindsight, had I researched this some more, I would have gone for something with even cleaner lines, but it will be just fine for now.

I also ordered some substrates and bits that they didn't have in stock. Got home and started thinking about design and it came to me that I didn't want a blocky filter or heater in my tank. Minimalist approach would be the way to go. Too much red wine, online shopping and YouTube reviews and I ended up as the owner of an Oase Biomaster Thermo 350, some Biohome media etc.... I used to be a home brewer, so I had CO2 bottles kicking around, so CO2 injection became not just a good idea, but mandatory.

Day 0

As of yesterday, all of the bits were here, including plants from aquariumgardens.co.uk who seem to be excellent to deal with. I also found a fairly local non-chain aquarium shop and had a good chat with them and bought some more bits. They seemed much more knowledgeable than World of Water, so I shall be going back there but will try more to get knowledge from this group and buy stuff more directly. Other stuff including rocks, driftwood etc, came from various online sources.

So I spent yesterday afternoon, evening and night getting everything set up, plumbed in, hardscaped and planted. I probably should have done this over a few days but I am impulsive and am going away for a week on Saturday, so I wanted to get it started cycling before then.

Here's the setup that I put together:

In hindsight, it's probably a bit cluttered and with too many plants.....but hey ho. The plants thing can always be remedied later seeing how they grow in. I wanted to make a layout that had carpeted "hills" on the sides, and a path leading down to a "beach" at the front. I think I have got that, and the driftwood that runs all the way across the tank also creates a little arch leading down to the beach that I hope fish will eventually swim through. The rocks are probably too big, but they are what I had and hold the driftwood down as it was still floating after a couple of nights in the bath.

I filled the tank with tap water, which took forever as I didn't want to disturb the hardscape, added some dechlorinator, turned the heater on and went to bed at 1.30am...

Day 1

I came down this morning and all looked good. The water had cleared down a bit overnight and all was looking OK. No leaks, no fires and my dogs hadn't destroyed it. I did some water testing (ph 6.8, ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 0) and then added 5.4ml of ammonia which brought it up to 4.0mg/l. Off to the races we go.

The CO2 regulator I had ordered (dual stage, single gauge FZone mini) arrived, so I got the CO2 up and running. As I write this, the drop checker shows a nice green colour , maybe, just maybe beginning to head towards yellow - although only if I squint at it. So I have just turned that down a gnat's ball hair and will keep an eye on it.

Lights and CO2 are all set up on a smart timer with app control and scheduled for 10 hours per day. I may turn this down by an hour or two while I am away.

So that's where we are. Day 1 of a new tank. All seems to be progressing according to plan. Some of the plants are pearling oxygen and nothing has obviously died yet.

Fun so far. Now I have to wait and read up about what fish to stock it with.

I am thinking maybe eventually a cleanup crew of Amano Shrimp, a Bristlenose Pleco and maybe some Clithon snails (although I am bit worried about snails). I'd like to get ahead of the game on algae - so may also add a UV steriliser.

As for the rest of the fish, no real idea. Maybe a pair of Honey Gouramis, some neon/shiny Tetras of some kind or other and some Zebra Loaches? I want to keep the fish kind of minimalist as well, yet colourful and diverse. Definitely smaller fish rather than larger. Any thoughts appreciated...

Cheers (and sorry for the rambling preamble in this Log),

Al
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1792 times
Been liked: 4240 times

Off to one hell of a start! 😁
adm
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

fr499y wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 20:29 pm Off to one hell of a start! 😁
Why thank you. Very kind.

I was more expecting the forum equivalent of sucking air through the teeth and "ooh....you shouldn't have done that"....
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1792 times
Been liked: 4240 times

Nah not here, we’re nice people 😂
mikeyboy123
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 46 times

I like that a lot. Question- did the tank not come with cover glass? Can't see it in the pic. I would recommend defo using a cover glass.

I like the scape. Lots of plants is good as long as you leave ample free swimming space, which you have, so I don't think there's too many plants. I'd put something big and bushy centre back though - maybe water sprite or limnophila sessiliflora - although I can see you've got some things poking up back there that may grow and fill that space.

with a pH of 6.8, and I'd assume reasonably soft also, you've got so much choice of fish to keep. Think of dividing your water column into bottom, mid and upper zones, and getting fish that inhabit those zones so that you have an even spread of activity from top to bottom. Think about having contrasts of colour between the different fish, and a lot of people like to have a "centrepiece" fish, the kings of the tank - usually one or perhaps 2 or 3 larger fish that will draw attention - cichlids and anabantoids are often chosen for this role.

What is the black substrate?
Andys temperate tank
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Has liked: 4378 times
Been liked: 2896 times

Looking good good mate, and if you decide there's too many plants you can always trim them back when they have settled.

Do you know how hard your water is? That will help decide your stock.
64l kitchen tank: 16 golden tetra.
5ft 425L: 3 blue angel fish, 30 rummie nose tetra, 20 black neon tetra, 1 longfin bristlenose plec, 2 corydoras sterbai, 24 corydoras duplicareas,2 SAE.
DrawsWithLight
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 6 times

I don't know where you're based but it you're UpNorf have a visit to https://www.horizonaquatics.co.uk/ near Darlington. This place will get your juices flowing for sure!! I got my Co2 kit from them, plus ferts and plants etc and they're great for providing advice.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5069 times
Been liked: 3427 times

I like it a lot. :)
Be careful with the dragon rock and fish with long fins or barbels. ;)
You say about tetras, but I'd be looking at rasbora to keep with the Asian theme of gourami and loaches. ;)
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Unalome
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 222 times

Pretty epic first tank! Looking forward to following this log.
54L | Dark Start Tank | Tank log
250L | Rainbow Utopia Tank | Tank log
adm
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

mikeyboy123 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 23:45 pm I like that a lot. Question- did the tank not come with cover glass? Can't see it in the pic. I would recommend defo using a cover glass.
Thank you - and yes it did come with a cover. 2 pieces of clear glass. The only issue is that they won't both fit properly with the lily pipes hanging over the side. But I will put them on anyway and maybe down the road get the glass cut locally so they fit better.
mikeyboy123 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 23:45 pm I like the scape. Lots of plants is good as long as you leave ample free swimming space, which you have, so I don't think there's too many plants. I'd put something big and bushy centre back though - maybe water sprite or limnophila sessiliflora - although I can see you've got some things poking up back there that may grow and fill that space.
That's also what I have been thinking - it needs something big and fanlike in the rear centre. No real rush though and I will go and have a look at the plants you suggest. I don't know anything about plants either, so there's lots of learning to do here.
mikeyboy123 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 23:45 pm with a pH of 6.8, and I'd assume reasonably soft also, you've got so much choice of fish to keep. Think of dividing your water column into bottom, mid and upper zones, and getting fish that inhabit those zones so that you have an even spread of activity from top to bottom. Think about having contrasts of colour between the different fish, and a lot of people like to have a "centrepiece" fish, the kings of the tank - usually one or perhaps 2 or 3 larger fish that will draw attention - cichlids and anabantoids are often chosen for this role.

What is the black substrate?
Good advice, thanks. Again, lots of learning to do here, but I have some time before I need to buy any fish. I was thinking about the Bristlenose Pleco as a kind of bottom feeder, mooching around and cleaning up the sand and substrate and they also look cool. I want a nice friendly community tank, so am currently kind of wary of cichlids as many of them seem to have a bit of a reputation as aggressive.

One the water hardness, I just looked at my local water quality report for my area and it lists total hardness (as CaCO3) as 153mg/L. I think that's kind of medium hardness, right, so might restrict my choices a bit.

As for the substrate, it is Fluval Stratum - with an inch or so of Tetra Complete Substrate underneath it.