Juwel Internal Filters

Aquarium Decor, DIY and Equipment.
angiemike6
Been liked: 2 times

I have had a Juwel Vision 180 tank now for 8 years, and it is my 3rd tank. It has really made the hobby so enjoyable as the filters are so easy to maintain and keep clean. The tank comes with the standard pump and heater, and I have never felt the pump underpowered. I tend to overstock my tank, but I must be doing something right as most of my fish are more than 5 years of age. I did have a Plec that lasted 28 years. The secret is regular weekly maintenance where I change 30% of the water weekly. I take all the filter media out weekly and thoroughly wash them in one of the buckets of water taken from the tank. I take the pump out monthly, take apart and thoroughly clean that or else it will get clogged up with detriment, and then water flow will slow down almost to a halt. Since having the tank I have maintained the change of all the filter media at the interval recommended by Juwel, and have set up an excel spreadsheet to ensure that is maintained. I also use original Juwel media, but purchase a years supply at a time from aquaristikshop.com in Germany where they are roughly half the price of purchasing in the UK. I have always used Cirax but cannot say what difference it actually makes. I am also very keen on Seachem products, and use Prime, Stability and Pristine on a weekly basis. I have to say that if I had not purchased a Juwel tank, I would no longer be enjoying the hobby, and would probably have given up altogether.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5086 times
Been liked: 3435 times

Yes agreed, the ones above 1000 don't fit the smaller filters.
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
John Linklater
Has liked: 250 times
Been liked: 91 times

Thanks for all the replies. The juwel tank is looking like a really good option. Will start a log in February when it’s all set up. Wish I had started one for my other tanks.
FishBubs
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 28 times

Hi angiemike6,

Your post has provided a lot of useful info on the jewel 180. Thanks.