New starter and tank

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
Axeman
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 3 times

plankton wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:35 am Welcome to the forum. :)
Vallis will probably fill the tank, try something a bit smaller like saggitaria.
Be careful with sharp rock like dragonstone. Sand is the best substrate for most species.
I'm not sure about the amount of fish you want in what is basically a 15" cube.....I'd cut down on the number so there's only 12 fish in there with the shrimp.
As black ghost says, the killies won't want it too bright, you may need to look at floating plants, but don't choose duckweed - it's a nightmare! ;)
I take it the water conditions (hardness) were fine for the Killies?

Many thanks again
Axeman

black ghost wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 23:01 pm I wouldn’t wait to start cycling. Every cycle is different and it can take a lot longer than expected.
Sadly, currently decorating room so have to start in 2/3 weeks time. :(
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5077 times
Been liked: 3432 times

Axeman wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:57 am
I take it the water conditions (hardness) were fine for the Killies?

Many thanks again
I think it's at the absolute limit of hardness, but it could work as long as the killies you get aren't wild ones. Make sure you acclimatise them properly.
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Vale!
Super Mod - TOTM Winner
Super Mod - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 1302 times

[Just seen the 'mention'. Um ... am I meant to be doing something here? Help!]
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1793 times
Been liked: 4249 times

stocking advice lol
Axeman

Eventually finished the decorating (which ultimately turned into the whole house) so set up the tank at the weekend. Started the cycling on Sunday using your very handy guide (using Dr Tim’s ammonia and tetra aqua safe). Started testing today but no movement as of yet,

One quick question regarding water hardness. I tested my tap water before Christmas and the GH was coming out at 12 and KH 5. I’ve tested again over the last few days and it’s still saying 12 & 5(both tap and aquarium). Because this was very different to my water report which I put on the very first post of this thread, I decided to try a different test. Again, the API test came out at 12 (other tests using NT labs).

Is it common for water hardness to be different to your water report from the water company?

Thanks again for the help
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4263 times
Been liked: 3921 times

Axeman wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 19:55 pm Is it common for water hardness to be different to your water report from the water company?
🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 ...Nah, never, say the water companies. :dodgy2:

God, I could tell you terrible facts about UK water suppliers, but I won't here. Just remember as far as their concerned the water supplied is for human consumption only.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Axeman

Martinspuddle wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 20:14 pm
Axeman wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 19:55 pm Is it common for water hardness to be different to your water report from the water company?
🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 ...Nah, never, say the water companies. :dodgy2:

God, I could tell you terrible facts about UK water suppliers, but I won't here. Just remember as far as their concerned the water supplied is for human consumption only.
😅 That’s more of a relief my testing isn’t faulty.

Hmm, best change the fish stock ideas then 👍
Martinspuddle
Has liked: 4263 times
Been liked: 3921 times

Axeman wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 19:26 pm Good Evening All

New to forum and to fish keeping.

Stocking:
Bottom: Red Cherry Shrimp
Middle: 8-10 Ember Tetra or 8-10 Espei Rasbora
Top: 6-8 Clown Killifish
Reading the start of this thread, I hadn't seen it and BTW ...Greetings :] & welcome to AF-UK, I see your just starting out. Is the Fluval Flex cycling yet?

Seeing as your a newbie, I'd suggest you start something easier than Clown Killifish, which frankly are better of in a species only setup. Avoid 'Dragon' stone, looks pretty until you or your fish cut themselves on it and it's very expensive.

I like your thinking with Neocaridina shrimp but as a long term keeper of these Shrimp, trust me when I say they get everywhere. ;]
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Axeman

Martinspuddle wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 20:37 pm
Axeman wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 19:26 pm Good Evening All

New to forum and to fish keeping.

Stocking:
Bottom: Red Cherry Shrimp
Middle: 8-10 Ember Tetra or 8-10 Espei Rasbora
Top: 6-8 Clown Killifish
Reading the start of this thread, I hadn't seen it and BTW ...Greetings :] & welcome to AF-UK, I see your just starting out. Is the Fluval Flex cycling yet?

Seeing as your a newbie, I'd suggest you start something easier than Clown Killifish, which frankly are better of in a species only setup. Avoid 'Dragon' stone, looks pretty until you or your fish cut themselves on it and it's very expensive.

I like your thinking with Neocaridina shrimp but as a long term keeper of these Shrimp, trust me when I say they get everywhere. ;]
Yes, started cycling yesterday. Set-up currently is:

Gravel
Seiryu stone
Mopani Wood
Planted - just basic anubias/java fern on stone/wood, ludwigia and Hygrophila

My stocking (taking advice from here included) hopefully will be:
12 Galaxy rasbora
8-10 shrimp