New starter and tank

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
Axeman
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 3 times

Good Evening All

New to forum and to fish keeping.

Recently purchased 57L Fluval Flex for my office. Liked the filtration etc for beginner and, of course, the size to fit in the small office. I wonder if some of you experts can look at following for any problems I might face.

Tank size:
41cm wide x 39cm depth x 39 height = 57L
(I do think depth is shortened by 7-8cm for internal housing)

Water hardness in image below

Substrate:
Gravel - 3mm

Wood/rock: not purchased yet but probably seiryu or dragon. No idea on a piece of wood yet

Plants:
Anubias
Ludwigia Repens
Monte Carlo or Vallisneria

Stocking:
Bottom: Red Cherry Shrimp
Middle: 8-10 Ember Tetra or 8-10 Espei Rasbora
Top: 6-8 Clown Killifish

About 14-18 fish with some shrimp

I’ve got all the testing equip (API master test kit and GH/KH test) and tools, which are getting up to the cost of the tank 😳. Will test water hardness later but hope it’s same as water company report above.

Any obvious mistakes?

Not purchased fish or plants as had a couple of questions:

1. is water soft enough for Clown Killifish? (If not will go with ember and Espei)
2. Trying to avoid CO2 so are plants able to survive without that and in gravel?
3. Will Monte Carlo grow? (Read it does grow but slowly)

Not starting to cycle until mid November and hoping to buy fish close to new year when on holiday.

Many thanks for your time and you’ve probably seen these questions a lot (sorry).

Cheers

Axe

fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

Welcome to AF-UK
Sand is always better if you haven’t got your substrate yet.
Plants will do fine without co2 but some might grow slower.
@black ghost @plankton @Vale! over to you!
BalloonMolly
Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 46 times

Welcome to the forum!

I'll be getting my Fluval Flex 57L cycled around the same time as you (maybe a little earlier). Sadly I do not have much advice to offer on the plants front yet, but will be trying some Monte Carlo under the same light. I'm expecting I might need to dose fertiliser or might try some EasyCarbo if it starts to get leggy...
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

With enough plants, but not too bright, it should be very nice for the killies.
You’re cycling it first, yes?
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
Axeman

BalloonMolly wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 20:28 pm Welcome to the forum!

I'll be getting my Fluval Flex 57L cycled around the same time as you (maybe a little earlier). Sadly I do not have much advice to offer on the plants front yet, but will be trying some Monte Carlo under the same light. I'm expecting I might need to dose fertiliser or might try some EasyCarbo if it starts to get leggy...
I like look of the Monte Carlo, just wasn’t sure how it would go. Any fertiliser brand you have in mind?
Axeman

black ghost wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 20:33 pm With enough plants, but not too bright, it should be very nice for the killies.
You’re cycling it first, yes?
Yes, cycling starts mid November and hope to finish around end of Christmas. Plenty of time for beginner hopefully. :)
BalloonMolly
Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 46 times

Axeman wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 21:33 pm
BalloonMolly wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 20:28 pm Welcome to the forum!

I like look of the Monte Carlo, just wasn’t sure how it would go. Any fertiliser brand you have in mind?
Not specifically. I remember Seachem Flourish being recommended a few years back but there might be better alternatives now.
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

I wouldn’t wait to start cycling. Every cycle is different and it can take a lot longer than expected.
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5064 times
Been liked: 3426 times

Welcome to the forum. :)
Vallis will probably fill the tank, try something a bit smaller like saggitaria.
Be careful with sharp rock like dragonstone. Sand is the best substrate for most species.
I'm not sure about the amount of fish you want in what is basically a 15" cube.....I'd cut down on the number so there's only 12 fish in there with the shrimp.
As black ghost says, the killies won't want it too bright, you may need to look at floating plants, but don't choose duckweed - it's a nightmare! ;)
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

Twisted vallis is a smaller version that works well.