What is climbing up the glass?

Anubia
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 11 times

I would like to find out what is living in my Betta's tank uninvited. It looks like this (photographed on a piece of tissue paper) and slides around. It looks like it has a shell but it's flat rather than snail shaped. Fishy ignores it and goes back to his bubble nesting, but I would like to find out if it could be harmful.

BalloonMolly
Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 46 times

I'd assume it's a freshwater limpet, which are harmless but indicate some amount of algae/waste present which they feed on. Not 100% sure though so check some photos online to see if they look the same :)
Anubia

https://aquariumbreeder.com/freshwater- ... tay-or-go/
I think you are right. I flushed it down the loo in indignation, but apparently they are harmless🤔
My only concern, as they are so small and inconspicuous, is they might carry parasites.
Anubia

Interesting though, my plants all come from snail free sources. The non snail free source tanks don't have limpets in them (unless they are under the substrate).
BalloonMolly
Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 46 times

That is interesting, and I'm not sure of the answer as I have many snail-infested plants in my tank :rofl: One source suggests that they can hitchhike on basically anything so it might not necessarily be plants.

I wonder if anyone else could shed light on where else the critters come from?
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

All I know is you don't normally get them in freshwater, so I'd certainly keep them if I got them :)
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

They don’t host any known fish parasites so they’re perfectly safe, although they will eat baby shrimp… (will they? I might have read that wrong). Their numbers are governed by the amount of food available to them (algae, biofilm, etc).
Last edited by black ghost on Mon Dec 18, 2023 15:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
John Linklater
Has liked: 250 times
Been liked: 90 times

Just looked them up. Quite cool wee things that I never knew existed so thanks for posting.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4253 times
Been liked: 3917 times

Damn it, I'm a bit late.

French bedbug I was going to suggest. :grin:
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Anubia

To keep or not to keep? I've only seen two so far, but as Fishy is a batchelor Betta, the limpets might be getting a frugal diet. I'm glad to hear that they don't carry any nasties that might make him sick, thank you đź‘Ť