Canister questions??

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

TheNotoriousDub_ wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:05 pm Also is the tank too small/overstocked for a single pearl gourami to be in there?
A lone Pearl Gourami will probably just be stressed all the time. They really need to be in a group, which would mean a bigger tank and a lot more shade / floating plant cover.
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
TheNotoriousDub_
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 8 times

Morning all
What's everyone's heater placement? I've currently got mine vertical running down the side of my inlet. I've read it being like this isn't the most efficient? There's room behind the inlet pipe with I could diagonally place it but would that be too close to the plastic? Pics for reference

black ghost
Posting Legend

I don’t think it matters much where it is if there’s a decent flow. For me, vertical is inefficient because the heat rises and heats the thermostat which means it’s switching on and off more, and in theory that might wear out the stat quicker.
But maybe they’re a better design these days and that doesn’t matter. I don’t know.
Next to the intake means this won’t happen as much(?) as some of the heat is going into the filter.
I always have them diagonal, coz I’m old fashioned.

:)
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

Same as above 🙂
TheNotoriousDub_

This is what I was thinking, though...as the thermostat seems to click on and off quite often
There isn't massive flow around the inlet, perhaps I could place it either by the side of the inlet but diagonally, running more toward the center of the tank, or run it behind the actual inlet as the suction cup arms give it enough room to do so, added pics ;)

TheNotoriousDub_

Like so

black ghost
Posting Legend

I’d have it diagonally on the side glass (less obtrusive?) but there is good. More of an angle though, about 45 degrees. That slight angle won’t make much difference.
TheNotoriousDub_

Could someone explain how I post a video please? 🤔 I'm wanting to show my surface agitation but I can only upload a picture!
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

you can upload to youtube then post the link/embed but there isn't a video upload function.
TheNotoriousDub_

OK I've uploaded to YouTube, not amazing quality even though I filmed it in UHD.
So I bought an extended spray bar which pretty much reaches the end of the tank now to kill the dead spot near the inlet. Perfect temp all around the tank now but I'm worried the circulation could be too strong too.... all the plants move now and you can see particles circulating everywhere, where as before it was a lot more stagnant... though the holes in this new bar are a tiny bit smaller. I'm just worried the gouramis won't appreciate the surface agitation.