Fluval 307

Aquarium Decor, DIY and Equipment.
Phil. P
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 8 times

Hi, joining up with a question (as I suspect do most people).
I'm not new to keeping fish, I've had tanks off and on for 40 years. I am wheelchair bound so wish to minimise the physical work involved. I have bought a tank of about 180L that came with a new 307. I would like to plumb this in to take a hose through the wall to a drain and give me an end I can drop into a container of water to let the filter pump treated water into the tank - I can't get to tip the water in easily. From what I can see the Fluval hoses have moulded on ends so I wouldn't be able to connect non ribbed hose to the cannister? Can I buy the end fittings separately? I would rather use non corrugated hose if possible. Does corrugated hose seat properly on conventional T connectors? I'd think they'd leak badly.

Has anyone any suggestions or suggestions for an alternative? TIA, Phil.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1793 times
Been liked: 4251 times

Most people would recommend a fluval fx series as they have built in drainage taps, but also a bit overkill for your tank.

Another way would be to use something like a python water change system or even a AWC ( auto water change ) setup. Reef float does them although I do personally think they are overpriced for what they are!
Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 442 times
Been liked: 852 times

Phil. P wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 13:40 pm Hi, joining up with a question (as I suspect do most people).
I'm not new to keeping fish, I've had tanks off and on for 40 years. I am wheelchair bound so wish to minimise the physical work involved. I have bought a tank of about 180L that came with a new 307. I would like to plumb this in to take a hose through the wall to a drain and give me an end I can drop into a container of water to let the filter pump treated water into the tank - I can't get to tip the water in easily. From what I can see the Fluval hoses have moulded on ends so I wouldn't be able to connect non ribbed hose to the cannister? Can I buy the end fittings separately? I would rather use non corrugated hose if possible. Does corrugated hose seat properly on conventional T connectors? I'd think they'd leak badly.

Has anyone any suggestions or suggestions for an alternative? TIA, Phil.
I'm not 100% sure how exactly you're planning on doing things with the 307, but if you want 'easy' water changes, I just use some food-grade clear plastic hose and gravity to empty it. To refill, I connect the hose to a tap, get the temp right, does the tank with water conditioner and just turn the tap on to refill the tank. I did also get a small pump for xmas to speed up the emptying process, the get the water out quicker than gravity (I have a big tank). The pump could be used at the re-fill end and you wouldn't have to mess about with the filter, etc then.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4265 times
Been liked: 3921 times

Greetings :] & welcome to AF-UK

Any of the correct size fitting Eheim parts or third party will work on a Fluval. How close is your water source to your aquarium?
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Phil. P

The source of water is on the other side of the bungalow.
On my last tank I had a pipe teed off the inlet to the cannister to take water out, it worked well, so I'm looking now to take it a step further and take it out through the wall to a drain.
I would also like to incorporate a pipe I can drop into a bucket to let the filter take the water to the tank - I can't easily take the lid off or tip water in. I also need tp plumb in an inline heater. It's the corrugated pipe I worry about, I'd rather use normal hose but I can't see how to attach it to the cannister.
Martinspuddle
Has liked: 4265 times
Been liked: 3921 times

Phil. P wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:21 am It's the corrugated pipe I worry about, I'd rather use normal hose but I can't see how to attach it to the cannister.
Image Image
Images courtesy Fluval UK

Normal 16/22mm aquarium filter hose fit directly onto the Aqua-Stop Valve, same as any other external filter I know of. To fit, you have put the end in boiling water to make soft to fit the hose. Failing that, you could use an 17/20mm adapter from Amazon to fit the Fluval corrugated pipe. Also you can purchase the rubber hose connectors from Fluval or an 17/20mm adapter from Amazon.

Heater, I'd use either a Hydor model or the Aquael Inline heater.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Phil. P

Thank you. The corrugated hose is on the spigots so tightly I thought the ends might have been moulded on.
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 696 times
Been liked: 1686 times

Hi Phil. I use gravity to empty but I have a cheap submersible pump from all pond solutions, with 15m of food grade pipe so I can pump water from a bucket in the sink, straight into the tanks. No heavy lifting at all. I usually end up taking photos of the fish whilst I wait😁
Instagram - @the.cornish.fishkeeper
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

One of these, but I can't remember what flow I went for https://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/prod ... eq=uniform
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

I have the 2500lph pump.