My tanks journey so far.

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
fluxtor
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 54 times

For those of you know me posting so many newbie questions thought I'd upload a few pictures of my tank at various stages since I set it up at the beginning of December.

I can't say it's been a fun journey so far but that's mostly down to my impatience and newbness. Anyway here goes ...

Day 1

Several weeks later ...

A few days later ...

A few days later ...

Now ..

Hope this gives people a better idea of my tanks short journey and where it is now. Apologies for photo quality, I did these on my phone on my lunch break.
Novice
67ltr Nano Tank
Koi Keeper
Pleco Fan
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 209 times

It's looking good, nice pics.
fluxtor

It's getting there. Had a good clean today and syphoned out some of the cyano and manually removed a load of hair algae. On top of that I did a 50% water change so at the moment it looks pretty decent.
Novice
67ltr Nano Tank
Koi Keeper
mikeyboy123
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 46 times

Hi Fluxtor.

I have to ask, why the aquasoil? With the plants you've got you just don't need it. The algae outbreak could be due to a number of things but I am suspecting that you've currently just got too much nutrient in the water as the aquasoil is only 6 weeks old and is likely leaching nutrients. This may reduce with time and your algae may reduce accordingly or it may not.

I'd add two amanos and two nerites as well as a vallis or a bunch of egeria densa centre back and see how it goes over the next few months. If things stabilise out and the algae ceases to be problematic then great. If not, then a new approach may be required.

Vallis is pretty low maintenance. You just let it get on with it and if it gets going it'll grow vigorously and send out runners in all directions. If the shoots pop up in an undesirable place then just cut the runner and remove/relocate the shoot (let it get reasonably big before relocating). Other than that you don't need to do much with it. Once the egeria gets going it'll require frequent cut backs. For best results and ease of maintenance I'd recommend putting 6-8 stems of egeria into a ceramic ring. You don't need to "plant" it as such, the ring will just weigh it down in place. Then, every week, grab the bunch of egeria by the base of the stems and pull a couple of inches down through the ring and trim off what you have pulled through. Pop back in tank.

Keep us posted on how it's going.
Last edited by mikeyboy123 on Sun Jan 14, 2024 13:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fluxtor

mikeyboy123 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:58 pm Hi Fluxtor.

I have to ask, why the aquasoil? With the plants you've got you just don't need it. The algae outbreak could be due to a number of things but I am suspecting that you've currently just got too much nutrient in the water as the aquasoil is only 6 weeks old and is likely leaching nutrients. This may reduce with time and your algae may reduce accordingly or it may not.

I'd add two amanos and two nerites as well as a vallis or a bunch of egeria densa centre back and see how it goes over the next few months. If things stabilise out and the algae ceases to be problematic then great. If not, then a new approach may be required.

Vallis is pretty low maintenance. You just let it get on with it and if it gets going it'll grow vigorously and send out runners in all directions. If the shoots pop up in an undesirable place then just cut the runner and remove the shoot. Other than that you don't need to do much with it. Once the egeria gets going it'll require frequent cut backs. For best results and ease of maintenance I'd recommend putting 6-8 stems of egeria into a ceramic ring. You don't need to "plant" it as such, the ring will just weigh it down in place. Then, every week, grab the bunch of egeria by the base of the stems and pull a couple of inches down through the ring and trim off what you have pulled through. Pop back in tank.

Thanks for the advice it's very much appreciated.

As for the aquasoil I don't know really but I guess that's just down to my inexperience. What would you suggest as an alternative? Maybe a small nutrient base with a capping of some sort. I currently have the 4 amanos and I think 2 Zebra nerites I say think as I've only seen one of them for a while and I already lost one of the original 3 I put in.

I will look up the plants you mention as know me and my normal obsessive approach to hobbies this won't be my only tank and even if it is it will likely get a redesign at some point! :laugh:
Novice
67ltr Nano Tank
Koi Keeper
mikeyboy123

fluxtor wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 13:14 pm
mikeyboy123 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:58 pm Hi Fluxtor.

Vallis is pretty low maintenance. You just let it get on with it and if it gets going it'll grow vigorously and send out runners in all directions. If the shoots pop up in an undesirable place then just cut the runner and remove the shoot. Other than that you don't need to do much with it. Once the egeria gets going it'll require frequent cut backs. For best results and ease of maintenance I'd recommend putting 6-8 stems of egeria into a ceramic ring. You don't need to "plant" it as such, the ring will just weigh it down in place. Then, every week, grab the bunch of egeria by the base of the stems and pull a couple of inches down through the ring and trim off what you have pulled through. Pop back in tank.

Thanks for the advice it's very much appreciated.

As for the aquasoil I don't know really but I guess that's just down to my inexperience. What would you suggest as an alternative? Maybe a small nutrient base with a capping of some sort. I currently have the 4 amanos and I think 2 Zebra nerites I say think as I've only seen one of them for a while and I already lost one of the original 3 I put in.

I will look up the plants you mention as know me and my normal obsessive approach to hobbies this won't be my only tank and even if it is it will likely get a redesign at some point! :laugh:
I'd just go for plain sand with root tabs for the root feeders and tnc lite as a liquid fert. Keep it simple.
mikeyboy123

I'm also a little concerned about your light - are the LEDs wide angle? What is the out put in lumens?
fluxtor

Can't find any info about the lighting. The only info it has is it's 20V, 16W, PAR 223 and no mention of lunens anywhere I can find. It's not even dimmable. As I've said in another post in hindsight I wish I've have gone for the scaper option instead of this but it was more to do with the location it was going and convenience. Live and learn as with everything :)
Novice
67ltr Nano Tank
Koi Keeper
fluxtor

Sorry for duplicate post! Can you delete individual posts? Clicked on the delete button but was worried it would delete the entire thread!
Novice
67ltr Nano Tank
Koi Keeper
Vale!
Super Mod - TOTM Winner
Super Mod - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 1302 times

I'll do it in a minute, flux ...