A little pic of my pond!

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your ponds.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4253 times
Been liked: 3917 times

plankton wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:10 am I'm struggling to see a rug, just a gravel path?? ;) :)
Think @black ghost had been out on the razzle the other night @plankton. :woo: ...:grin:
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 438 times
Been liked: 844 times

black ghost wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 15:54 pm Sorry to be the first to put a downer on things. It’s a nice looking pond, but it needs to be at least 4 feet deep for koi, to allow for proper muscle development. It’s also massively overstocked.
How does depth allow for muscle development? Water pressure?
John Linklater
Has liked: 250 times
Been liked: 90 times

fluxtor wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 13:45 pm Just thought I'd share my pond with you guys, not the best quality picture but should give you an idea!

Looks great. So does it go into the ground or is it all above ground level. How do you set something like that up?
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

Si4geckos wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:08 pm
black ghost wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 15:54 pm Sorry to be the first to put a downer on things. It’s a nice looking pond, but it needs to be at least 4 feet deep for koi, to allow for proper muscle development. It’s also massively overstocked.
When fish swim downwards and upwards they use their ventral and dorsal muscles to turn into it. Big fish need deep water to do it, or these muscles stay underdeveloped.
Last edited by black ghost on Mon Jan 15, 2024 15:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
Martinspuddle
Has liked: 4253 times
Been liked: 3917 times

Out of sight at the back of the pond, there is a fully equipped Carp Gym. :dodgy2:

Unfortunately not my sort of pond @fluxtor, I like something a tad wilder like my old pond.

For those that are interested in formal Koi ponds, please post what the specifications are, filters etc?
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
fluxtor
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 54 times

Haha, glad it cheered some of you up with the conundrum! Here's another picture for perspective.

@John Linklater, It's approximately 3ft underground and 3ft above. It's concrete block built (laid flat) and has a 9" concrete reinforced base with 2 x bottom drains gravity feeding a drum filter. It returns pumped to the pond via a bio chamber to 2 x mid pond returns and another pump to a shower which you can see. Te shower is 4 trays a meter long each and have ceramc media in each tray (lots of it).

I probably have some better pictures somewhere!
Novice
67ltr Nano Tank
Koi Keeper
John Linklater
Has liked: 250 times
Been liked: 90 times

fluxtor wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 16:57 pm Haha, glad it cheered some of you up with the conundrum! Here's another picture for perspective.

@John Linklater, It's approximately 3ft underground and 3ft above. It's concrete block built (laid flat) and has a 9" concrete reinforced base with 2 x bottom drains gravity feeding a drum filter. It returns pumped to the pond via a bio chamber to 2 x mid pond returns and another pump to a shower which you can see. Te shower is 4 trays a meter long each and have ceramc media in each tray (lots of it).

I probably have some better pictures somewhere!
Thanks, it’s something I’ve only had a sort of cursory look at. It’s maybe a project for when I retire in a couple of years. Thought I’d take the opportunity to ask.
Unalome
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 222 times

Looks amazing, would love something like this.
54L | Dark Start Tank | Tank log
250L | Rainbow Utopia Tank | Tank log
fluxtor

Martinspuddle wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 15:00 pm
Out of sight at the back of the pond, there is a fully equipped Carp Gym. :dodgy2:

Unfortunately not my sort of pond @fluxtor, I like something a tad wilder like my old pond.

For those that are interested in formal Koi ponds, please post what the specifications are, filters etc?
Yeah not everyone's cup of tea formal ponds and if I had the space I would much prefer an informal in the ground traditional pond with waterfalls and a bridge etc as I love the whole Japanese look and feel.
Novice
67ltr Nano Tank
Koi Keeper
fluxtor

@Martinspuddle

As suggested for those who might be interested here's the specs for my pond.

It's 3.8m x 2.4m x 1.5m internal and comes in at 13784 ltrs or 3074 UK Gallons (this is from memory but I do have it written down somewhere for calculating treatments etc).

The lining is fiberglass and it's a gravity fed filter system supplied by two bottom drains into a RDF drum filter (Filtreau HS30). The drum returns to the pond via two variable pumps, 1 x 20k lph and 1 x 10k lph. The 20k feeds a 4 tier baki shower with mixed ceramic media and the 10k feeds 2 x mid pond returns also via a bio chamber with 100 ltires of caldness media.

I run a constant trickle in of fresh water via a big blue dechlorinator with bone char carbon. It's not heated but I would like to heat it one day when I can afford an air source heat pump and I get permission from the boss (wife).

Happy to answer any questions withing my knowledge limits if anyone is interested!
Novice
67ltr Nano Tank
Koi Keeper