Newbie with a Nano

Tell us a bit about yourself!
TheCookingViking1978
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Hey,

I have just bought a Fluval Evo and began cycling with live sand, live rock, with the usual media that comes with the tank. I am just waiting for some piping for the return pump, so I can extend and put the heater in with it, and then will add a skimmer.

I have had a number of tropical tanks before, but this is my first marine set up and looking to have corals and fish.

I was going to simply cycle for 30 days with out adding anything and then get the water tested at my LFS, does anyone have other ideas/experience that could help a newbie.

Thanks in advance
Clem Fandango
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 12 times

Hello, and welcome :)

I have no experience with marine but MD recently started a series on it. He is about a month or so ahead of you so might be helpful to follow along.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ap8Z_-EtZg

Keep us updated on how you progress!
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4260 times
Been liked: 3919 times

Greetings :] & welcome to AF-UK

That all depends on your liverock. I had to check my notes, it's been so long. :$

Do you know if it's already cured, you'll soon know if it has a strong odour. If the rock isn't fully cured it will take longer to cycle. This will mean curing the rock yourself performing daily RO saltwater changes (an SG of 1.018 will suffice) until the rock is cured, this is usually all the while the ammonia reading is over 5.0 ppm. Last time I did this, the process took ten days.

If the rock is cured then it will be simply waiting for the nitrogen cycle to complete, which can be as little as a couple of weeks to six weeks depending on water volume to rock ratio, which if I'm correct with your Fluval EVO should be 52 litres volume, so that's around 6kg or 13lbs of liverock.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
TheCookingViking1978

:crazy:
My mistake...it was live rock but dried out. I would say i have put in around 2kg.

Can post pic tomorrow of what is in so far.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1792 times
Been liked: 4240 times

A picture will be good as some ‘dried live rock’ is nothing more than limestone or ocean rock which imo is s**t 😂
Martinspuddle

TheCookingViking1978 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 20:27 pm :crazy:
My mistake...it was live rock but dried out. I would say i have put in around 2kg.
Live rock that's dead, where did you get it from?

I'd still cured it, you don't know what toxins will leach from anything dead inside.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TheCookingViking1978

The person I bought the tank off gave me some bits of rock.

I'm not rushing the process so will be checking params after about 10 days to let it cycle. But again, happy for advice.

fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1792 times
Been liked: 4240 times

nice :) Those reef bones will be great for benificial bacteria :) The bigger bit reminds me of 'Dutch Rock' which is a brand of artificial live rock (and good stuff too!)
Martinspuddle

TheCookingViking1978 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:43 am The person I bought the tank off gave me some bits of rock.
Your very lucky, reef bones can be quite expensive. If you like to add a small amount of live rock it will 'seed' your reef bones in time.
TheCookingViking1978 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:43 am I'm not rushing the process so will be checking params after about 10 days to let it cycle. But again, happy for advice.
Glad about that, Reefkeeping is a slow process. ;]

What's current water parameters of your aquarium and have you used RO water?
TheCookingViking1978

Hey, haven't checked parameters yet, and bought RO saltwater from Maidenhead aquatics.

I've just bought some test straps which will be here tomorrow so will look tomorrow and post them. It will have cycled for a week tomorrow.