Newbie with a Nano

Tell us a bit about yourself!
TheCookingViking1978
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

New live rock in and I think it look pretty cool.
I did find a black/brown slimy item on one of the frag items that was already on there. Felt like wet leather. Would that be good/bad, dormant critter etc?? It's in 1 & 5 pic below

fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1792 times
Been liked: 4240 times

could be whats known as a chicken liver sponge, which can be bad news.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4260 times
Been liked: 3919 times

Don't leave algae magnet in your aquarium all the time. Apart collecting unwanted detritus, also eventually you'll find Coral line algae (pink and purple coloured algae) on it and the pad which can scratch your glass.

If that is a Caribbean chicken liver sponge (Chondrilla nucula) it is very invasive and will cover everything. You need to remove it, either that or return that piece of rock to the store. Angelfish and Butterfly fish will eat it, but in a nano aquarium really not an option. I believe there is a species of Nudibranchs (Sea slugs) will eat this sponge species.

Thing to remember with a reef aquarium for every species, there's something that will eat it. :]
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Martinspuddle

...other that, enjoy your rock. Once settled, all sorts of tiny critters will appear. Arthropods, Copepods, Small tube worms, Brittle stars and if your really lucky Button Polyps, small Zoa's, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps or sometimes even Mushroom Anemones.

I really surprised on one occasion, I had a tiny Jellyfish swimming around ...until my Tailspot blenny I introduced eat it. :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TheCookingViking1978

It does look more black...so wander if its black sponge. Can CUC deal.with it?? Real that a couple of snails may do.it. if not take out pice and scrub??
TheCookingViking1978

Algae magnet out. Cheers
Martinspuddle wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 17:02 pm Don't leave algae magnet in your aquarium all the time. Apart collecting unwanted detritus, also eventually you'll find Coral line algae (pink and purple coloured algae) on it and the pad which can scratch your glass.

If that is a Caribbean chicken liver sponge (Chondrilla nucula) it is very invasive and will cover everything. You need to remove it, either that or return that piece of rock to the store. Angelfish and Butterfly fish will eat it, but in a nano aquarium really not an option. I believe there is a species of Nudibranchs (Sea slugs) will eat this sponge species.

Thing to remember with a reef aquarium for every species, there's something that will eat it. :]
Martinspuddle

TheCookingViking1978 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 18:24 pm Can CUC deal.with it??
In English? 🤔

You could chance it but the problem is being a nano setup if is a Chicken liver sponge it will fill that aquarium. Personally I'd return that piece of rock and get it exchanged.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5069 times
Been liked: 3427 times

Martinspuddle wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:47 am
In English? 🤔

You could chance it but the problem is being a nano setup if is a Chicken liver sponge it will fill that aquarium. Personally I'd return that piece of rock and get it exchanged.
Clean up crew. ;)
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Martinspuddle

plankton wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:58 am
Martinspuddle wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:47 am
In English? 🤔

Clean up crew. ;)
Oh god, I've never seen that before! :mad: ...thank you @plankton although somewhat embarrassing as your fifteen years older than me. :$

@TheCookingViking1978 No the clean up crew won't do anything to the sponge.

Can you see any pores on it's surface?
TheCookingViking1978

No pores on it that I can see.

Will see how it goes.

CUC...I thought it was a common term...my bad.