Is it snowing?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Forum suggestion always welcome. All things non-fishy related.
Flex365
FOTM & TOTM Winner
FOTM & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 328 times
Been liked: 236 times

Unalome wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:29 am Just had another read through this... Did we rule out that your tap water doesn't have these particles in it?
Hi poured water into a glass, left it for 10mins to settle, NO white particles in the water. So unfortunately back to square one.

I thought to myself that surely I can't be the only one to have ever come across this problem, then I spent many hours looking online and found that other fish keepers and planted tank owners have had similar issue, yet, nobody seems to have a fix for the problem ??

This does not seem to be a new problem within fishkeeping just one that does not seem to have a fix.that I can find.
Flex365
FOTM & TOTM Winner
FOTM & TOTM Winner

Particles are very similar to the video in the link below.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Aquariums/comm ... are_button
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4261 times
Been liked: 3920 times

Silly question @Flex365 I've just thought of ...takes my late 1960's brain a while to think of these things. :dodgy2:

Have you cleaned out the inside of you Fluval 407 filter head housing and impeller chamber?

Have you ever cleaned or replaced your Fluval filter pipes, are you using the Fluval ribbed hoses, if so are they the original pipes supplied with the filter?

I ask, because Fluval ribbed hoses have been known for trapping dirt and detritus before now.

WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Flex365
FOTM & TOTM Winner
FOTM & TOTM Winner

Martinspuddle wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:51 am Silly question @Flex365 I've just thought of ...takes my late 1960's brain a while to think of these things. :dodgy2:

Have you cleaned out the inside of you Fluval 407 filter head housing and impeller chamber?

Have you ever cleaned or replaced your Fluval filter pipes, are you using the Fluval ribbed hoses, if so are they the original pipes supplied with the filter?

I ask, because Fluval ribbed hoses have been known for trapping dirt and detritus before now.

Hi Martin, yes I've cleaned out the filter head housing and impeller .

The ribbed pipes are are the original ones from fluval, the tank wasn't brand new when I got it.

I think on a recent I post that I had cleaned out the inlet/outlet pipes which are located within the tank on the Fluval Roma with a long wire brush, due to brown debris being pushed into the tank after restarting the filter after a water change.

I'm no longer getting the brown mulm coming out on restarting the filter any more, which is a relief, however these white particles, I have no idea where there coming from? Or how to remove them?

I've tried acc clear again, water changes,installed a internal filter with floss, Purigen, cannister filter Fluval 407 has been checked and cleaned, fish not eating particles so possibly not copepods? I tried having wavemaker on it just circulates particle around, but not out, as these particles don't bind together and seem to be to light for the inlet pipes to draw them in.

Not sure what to try next?
Martinspuddle

Flex365 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:39 am Hi Martin, yes I've cleaned out the filter head housing and impeller .
Flex365 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:39 am The ribbed pipes are are the original ones from fluval, the tank wasn't brand new when I got it.
Who's your tap water supplier, I take it hard water like the rest of us or did the aquarium filter setup come from a being used in a hard water area? ...I have a theory, please bare with me.

Any idea how old the aquarium and filter was when you purchased it?

Only I'm wondering if there's calcium carbonate deposits inside your pipes. Where you've cleaned the pipes with the brush, you've unwittingly disturbed the calcium deposits and is now breaking up into fine particles, thus flowing into the main aquarium.

If this is the case, I can only suggest you keep doing water changes and using the filter floss or it might pay to get some new pipes. :]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Flex365
FOTM & TOTM Winner
FOTM & TOTM Winner

Hi Martin thanks for the reply, Severn Trent is the water company, the water is 2.52dGH (German) is soft water, I've attached pics from water company 2019.
Tank was bought a few miles down the road from me still within the Severn Trent water area.

The aquarium not sure how old it is, however I upgraded the previous filter from the 306 to the 407 just a couple of years ago.

I'll keep trying water changes for a bit and if it does not resolve the issue I'll change the pipework, however only want to do this as a last resort as fish are in the tank and pipework has to be changed from underneath the tank on the Fluval Roma 240.

Not sure if anyone has changed this pipework on the Fluval Roma from below the glass tank itself, if they have then can you please advise the best way to do this as the fish are in the tank., and if I would need remove fish and drain out the water to change pipework, to be honest not really something I want to mess about with, if I can help it.

fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1792 times
Been liked: 4245 times

Drain it until both the inlet and outlet are out of the water, then unhook the pipes and your good to go.
Martinspuddle

Not something I've ever done. Would of thought you just lower the water level below intake and outflow pipes.

Click to enlarge

As far I can tell, you loosen the locking clips on the hoses at the aquarium base and remove.

I'm sure some one on the forum has done this, might worth posting the question.

Edit, there you go, @fr499y says the same. :]
Mito
Has liked: 347 times
Been liked: 190 times

A couple of corks pushed into the pipes, or clamp some tubing onto the pipes that will end above the water level.
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 862 times
Been liked: 1832 times

I didn’t change my pipes but it would be a case of draining to below the water inlet level (so around a 75% w/c). Then switch them over (with bucket and towels ready for the water sitting in the pipes). I’ve been reading along and I think it’s the only explanation that makes sense. Even though I have soft water too, after a year, I still need to descale my hot water dispenser as it’s a lot of water sitting then getting pushed through relatively thin pipes for the volumes involved. Tank will be the same.
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.