Smallest Powerhead or Circulation Pump

Aquarium Decor, DIY and Equipment.
fluxtor
FOTM Winner
FOTM Winner
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 54 times

I'm thinking of installing a very small powerhead or circulation pump on my small tank, dimensions are 55 x 35 x 45,7 cm. Reason are the internal filter is terrible and there's very little flow in the tank and I'm forever getting a film build up on the surface. I've also read that having a gentle flow in the tank so the plants are moving a little can be beneficial for the plants. Obviously I don't want a powerful current smashing everything about and stressing the fish!

Firstly, is this a good idea or should I just look into improving the internal filter somehow? Not sure how as its an all in one tank but maybe the pump could be swapped for something a bit more powerful?

If it is a good idea any recommendations? I have been running a small pump on the side of the tank that came with the TMC water change kit which is 200lph. Whilst this works to a degree there are no adjustments and I think it's not really designed to be run for long periods. It's already becoming noisier and I think it will fail very soon if I keep using it like this.

TIA
Novice
67ltr Nano Tank
Koi Keeper
FishBubs
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 21 times

what filter are you using just now? would it not be possible to install a different model of filter that may suit your needs better ?
fluxtor
FOTM Winner
FOTM Winner

FishBubs wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 20:25 pm what filter are you using just now? would it not be possible to install a different model of filter that may suit your needs better ?
As said it's an all in one with integrated filter so not sure I can!
Novice
67ltr Nano Tank
Koi Keeper
Bluetaurus
Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 75 times

If it has a built in filter housing these can normally be removed altogether. I have a superfish home110. It has a filter housing which I wish I had removed when setting up.
I have a hob filter to complement the inadequate one that came with the tank.
Superfish home 110 ,Superfish aqua pro 300 filter, + APS hob 500 filter.
Low tech set up.
fluxtor
FOTM Winner
FOTM Winner

Bluetaurus wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 21:34 pm If it has a built in filter housing these can normally be removed altogether. I have a superfish home110. It has a filter housing which I wish I had removed when setting up.
I have a hob filter to complement the inadequate one that came with the tank.
Aye, I have the Quadro Pro 70 which has the filter built into the corner which is also part of the light housing and the foot/stand etc. Beginning to regret this tank as it's limited without major surgery!
Novice
67ltr Nano Tank
Koi Keeper
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5068 times
Been liked: 3427 times

Can it be adjusted to make the surface move more? Maybe using a spray bar or something?
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
fluxtor
FOTM Winner
FOTM Winner

plankton wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:28 am Can it be adjusted to make the surface move more? Maybe using a spray bar or something?
Unfortunately not, it really is poop. It's basically a plastic container which has a pump in the bottom and replaceable cartridges which contain 2 x coarse foam and some carbon and zeolite I think. There are no adjustments and no way to fit a spray bar hence why I'm looking for a small powerhead or something similar!

I think you already looked at the manual for this tank for someone else on another post? Someone who was having issues with the inlet being too powerful which I don't see being an issue!
Novice
67ltr Nano Tank
Koi Keeper
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5068 times
Been liked: 3427 times

fluxtor wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:38 am I think you already looked at the manual for this tank for someone else on another post? Someone who was having issues with the inlet being too powerful which I don't see being an issue!
I don't remember what I have for dinner one day to the next, so remembering filters is completely out of the brain cache.... ;) :D
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4259 times
Been liked: 3919 times

plankton wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:44 am
fluxtor wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:38 am I think you already looked at the manual for this tank for someone else on another post? Someone who was having issues with the inlet being too powerful which I don't see being an issue!
I don't remember what I have for dinner one day to the next, so remembering filters is completely out of the brain cache.... ;) :D
I would thought the clue would be in the name @fluxtor. Being a single celled organism, it's hard for @plankton to keep up with forum posts. :grin:
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
fluxtor
FOTM Winner
FOTM Winner

Martinspuddle wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:55 am I would thought the clue would be in the name @fluxtor. Being a single celled organism, it's hard for @plankton to keep up with forum posts. :grin:
:rofl:
Novice
67ltr Nano Tank
Koi Keeper