Fluval Roma Replacing Tube Starter

Flex365
FOTM & TOTM Winner
FOTM & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 325 times
Been liked: 236 times

A few days ago the tube light in the Fluval Roma 240 would not switch on, I could not hear the starter clicking.

I turned off the light and removed plug from socket, then I and messed about with the tube for a while, in the hope it would by some miracle, just work when I switched it back on, no luck unsurprisingly.

I remembered trying to look for the starter before, but I never managed to find it and gave up in the end as I had a Fluval aquasky in the other tube.

I emailed Fluval to ask how I could change the starter, they replied it was a sealed unit, that I could prise off the cover and the starters are located beneath the cover.

Decided to give it a go today and change the starters, as my tube was not that old.

There are 6 clips that need removing from the light lid, 2 on the left of the lid, 2centre and 2 on the right side.
Gently prise the clips on the left side out, you will feel resistance this is the silicone sealant beneath the lid.
I got a metal ruler and placed it under the lid after removing the first 2 clips, then slid it along the underside of the lid, breaking the sealant below to allow removal of the remaining 4 clips and the lid.

Once the lid was removed, I replaced the starters and tested the light again, I heard the starter clicking and the light came on.

I switched off the light and removed the plug from socket, then removed the old sealant and replaced it with new sealant, this part was time a bit time consuming, however it needed to be done to provide a good seal.

Popped the lid back on and weighed it down a bit, had some small gym weight plates.

Sat back with cup cup of tea, admiring the handy work, trust me it's not often, usually I'm in the dog house, so it made a nice change to see the better half smiling.

So hopefully this will help somebody out who needs to replace a starter on the Fluval Roma.