Galaxy Rasboras

Barbs, Danios, Rasboras, Sharks, Golfish, Koi.
Hsep
Been liked: 1 time

Hello,

I have recently got school of 6 Galaxy rasboras. Before that I had just 2, because I saw last two in the pet store and I really liked them, I decided to buy them with the intention to buy more once they restock them.

When they restocked them I bought additional 2 and after 5 days the two previous died. The new ones probably brought something into the aquarium that killed the previous two. Since I was left with only 2, I bought another 4 from the same pet store and basically the same batch, hence, I did not expect any issues.

This is how I ended up with the 6 I have now.

Now the group split into groups of 3, one group is swimming as usual, looking healthy and the second group looks sick and is swimming near the surface looking wierd. The belly of all the sick fish does not look round, it more like flat or even collapsing inside.

Water parameters are good, NO3, NO2 and NH3 at 0, gH at 8 and pH around 7.5. The tank is 30l with a net volume of approximately 25l. Before you start to shame me that it is small tank for danios, I did not know specific requirements of this fish, I used the general rule of cm per l and consulted my fish store about the stocking levels. The fish store was aware of the size of my aquarium and still recommended getting them.

Other fish in the aquarium are 2 corys, small pleco, super chill betta male and 2 amano shrimps.

Do you have recommendations about what should I do? Please.

Thank you.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5064 times
Been liked: 3426 times

If the bellies are concave then it sounds like internal problems. Try using a wormer (you'll need to dose the whole tank and give the substrate a good hoover before starting the course of meds). that may sort it out.
Kusuri do a good wormer. I'm not sure which the Waterlife product is, I think it's Sterazin, but that should be good as well.
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Hsep

plankton wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:33 am Try using a wormer (you'll need to dose the whole tank and give the substrate a good hoover before starting the course of meds).
Ok, I have a follow up question then, this tank has been running for approximately half a year. It was my starter and there were historically similar issues with other fish I kept in there. Is it possible that the tank is simply not healthy and I should throw everything away and redo it completely with new substrate?

At the beginning 3 swordtails died in this tank with similar issues, concave bellies, similar swimming patterns etc..
Lo1
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 223 times

Hsep wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:16 am Hello,

I have recently got school of 6 Galaxy rasboras. Before that I had just 2, because I saw last two in the pet store and I really liked them, I decided to buy them with the intention to buy more once they restock them.

When they restocked them I bought additional 2 and after 5 days the two previous died. The new ones probably brought something into the aquarium that killed the previous two. Since I was left with only 2, I bought another 4 from the same pet store and basically the same batch, hence, I did not expect any issues.

This is how I ended up with the 6 I have now.

Now the group split into groups of 3, one group is swimming as usual, looking healthy and the second group looks sick and is swimming near the surface looking wierd. The belly of all the sick fish does not look round, it more like flat or even collapsing inside.

Water parameters are good, NO3, NO2 and NH3 at 0, gH at 8 and pH around 7.5. The tank is 30l with a net volume of approximately 25l. Before you start to shame me that it is small tank for danios, I did not know specific requirements of this fish, I used the general rule of cm per l and consulted my fish store about the stocking levels. The fish store was aware of the size of my aquarium and still recommended getting them.

Other fish in the aquarium are 2 corys, small pleco, super chill betta male and 2 amano shrimps.

Do you have recommendations about what should I do? Please.

Thank you.
The minimum recommended tank size is over twice yours, at 10 gallons. But 20 gallons is the better option.
:swim: :swim2: :swim:

NACD OptiWhite Aquarium 140l,
F Zone Stainless Steel 15l filter,
Eheim powerLED+ fresh daylight,
Eheim powerLED+ fresh plants,
AI Nero 3 Powerhead,
Twinstar Nano Sterilizer,
Co2 Art PRO-SE.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4253 times
Been liked: 3917 times

BIGGER AQUARIUM! :grin:
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Lo1
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Just a heads up over Sterazin, I would not use Sterazin with amano shrimps. Please see the below email from Waterlife:

“Hi Nick,
We do not recommend the use of Sterazin when shrimp are present in an aquarium. If Shrimp are present, we recommend the use of Fluke free for the treatment of flukes and worms.
Regards,
WATERLIFE.“

AI Nero 3 Powerhead,
Co2 Art PRO-SE.
Lo1
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Image by Waterlife.

AI Nero 3 Powerhead,
Co2 Art PRO-SE.
Lo1
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Myxazin, Paragon and Octozin are shrimp safe, but Protozin contains copper and is likely to kill some kinds of shrimps.

AI Nero 3 Powerhead,
Co2 Art PRO-SE.
Hsep

Ok, I have an update, I bought cerpofor dactycid as none of the meds you recommended were awailable.

I managed to get my amanos from the tank as well as the snails.

1 danio is dead and second was swimming upside down. This was the same as with the previous two which died. At this point I have no clue what to do.

What would you do, given that this tank is somehome killing almost all fish I put in there.

I will not be throwing it away or getting bigger one any time soon due to limited budget constraint. Thank you.
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 1827 times

If you’re not going to upgrade the tank then the best thing you can do is not buy more fish for it. It’s overstocked for a 25L tank and your fish may well be getting stressed because of that, or there might be some sort of infection going through them as suggested (on top of the stress). Are you testing with strips or a liquid test kit? How did you cycle the tank? Photos of stock and decor might help too.
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.