Hi! New and confused

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 862 times
Been liked: 1832 times

Remind us how your filter is set up? Because you shouldn’t ever be removing filter cartridges otherwise yes, you’ll be removing the beneficial bacteria you’ve worked so hard to grow!
If it’s just carbon, it can be removed, but if it’s sponge in there, then it just needs rinsed in used tank water and pop back in. I have filter sponge in my big filter that’s been on the go since 2017 and I think plankton had sponges older than some of my kids 🤣
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.
Fish
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 9 times

DuzMano wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:26 am Maybe once he succumbs and accepts the fact that there is no escape he might settle down 🤣
I’ve just rehomed him to a friend, she has a far bigger tank than me with guppies and shrimp and rehomed a single endler the other day (she works in rescue!) so hopefully they’ll be more happy there!
Fish

VikingMummy2015 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:51 pm Remind us how your filter is set up? Because you shouldn’t ever be removing filter cartridges otherwise yes, you’ll be removing the beneficial bacteria you’ve worked so hard to grow!
If it’s just carbon, it can be removed, but if it’s sponge in there, then it just needs rinsed in used tank water and pop back in. I have filter sponge in my big filter that’s been on the go since 2017 and I think plankton had sponges older than some of my kids 🤣
Oh no, don’t worry! I didn’t remove anything, I just added an extra filter cartridge (the one that has carbon inside). It’s a interpet cf1 so has 3 parts, the ceramic media, filter cartridge which contains carbon, and a green sponge which apparently stops algae (it doesn’t 🤣). It says to replace the filter cartridge and green algae pad once a month but I’m not doing that atm so I don’t mess with it!

The ceramic media is at the bottom but you can’t see it, the whiter filter cartridge is the new one I added, and dirty one above that is the one that’s been in there from the start (I just gently swished it in the tank water when I did a water change the other day). All api tests are still good this morning 😊

plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5069 times
Been liked: 3427 times

You shouldn't need to replace any of the media excet the carbon. Some of my media is 25+ years old.....
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Fish

plankton wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:41 am You shouldn't need to replace any of the media excet the carbon. Some of my media is 25+ years old.....
Yeah I know, that’s why I wanted to either upgrade the filter, or get some sponge in replacement of the white carbon pads. I haven’t taken anything out at all (despite what the filter makers tell me), I’ve just added an extra carbon cartridge (white one pictured) to hopefully reduce the tannins.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5069 times
Been liked: 3427 times

Water changes are the cheapest way to dilute the tannins, carbon does help a little but it's so much more expensive..... ;)
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Fish

Yeah the carbon didn’t actually make much difference, 3 days after a water change it was looking pretty orange again 🤣 guess I’ll have to do a water change every 3 to 4 days. As much as I love that piece of wood (and the fish) it’s a pain to clean up the bottom of the tank - no room!