Understanding water hardness

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
Fish
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 9 times

I don’t get it 🤣 I’ve checked the water hardness and have added a screenshot. But I can’t see how those numbers relate to 4 dGH? I was reading up on cardinal tetra as I was hoping I could add these first when I’d finished cycling my tank and apparently that’s what they are happy in. I can’t believe how complicated this all is… I’ve finally got my head around the cycling process but it feels never ending, what fish go with other fish, what the hardness is, what the ph is, what the temp is. Dogs are so much easier 😔

fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1792 times
Been liked: 4240 times

Can I ask where you got the 4 dGH from? As from that screenshot its 16 dGH which is hard.
DuzMano
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 15 times

fr499y wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 13:45 pm Can I ask where you got the 4 dGH from? As from that screenshot its 16 dGH which is hard.
I think he was referring to the 4dgh as that being the suitable conditions for the tetras he hopes to get, rather than what his actual parameters are? I'm probably wrong tho, but just how I read it!
Duz "'Scape Noob" Mano

Duz Mano's Leddy XL
Fish

DuzMano wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 13:49 pm
fr499y wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 13:45 pm Can I ask where you got the 4 dGH from? As from that screenshot its 16 dGH which is hard.
I think he was referring to the 4dgh as that being the suitable conditions for the tetras he hopes to get, rather than what his actual parameters are? I'm probably wrong tho, but just how I read it!
No you’re not wrong! You’re spot on 😊
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner

Ah yes that makes more sense. I thought you had a reading of 4 from somewhere but the supplier is higher.

You'll want to look at hard water fish Here are some examples for you.

Smaller livebearers:- Endler guppy, Guppy or Mosquitofish ( Males only for the colour and to stop breeding )
some tetras are ok with harder water like the x-ray tetra
Harlequin Rasbora seem to be ok in hardwater, I've had a group for over 7 years without a single loss.
Cherry barbs are ok in harder water but like it a bit cooler
Neo shrimp ( Cherries ) and Amano do well in hard water
Celebes rainbowfish should do ok in hard water as well, but your limited on tank size really.

I'd recommend going with one type of fish and get a small group, maybe guppies as they come in some lovely colours, or a group of harlequin rasboras.
Fish

Google told me cardinal tetras need 4 dGH 😊 But I can’t understand how you know that the screenshot I showed means I have 16 dGH, I don’t see that written there at all… oh wait, is it the degrees German part? So cardinal tetras are definitely off the list then 😔
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner

Yes degrees german is General Hardness dGH.
Fish

fr499y wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 14:06 pm Ah yes that makes more sense. I thought you had a reading of 4 from somewhere but the supplier is higher.

You'll want to look at hard water fish Here are some examples for you.

Smaller livebearers:- Endler guppy, Guppy or Mosquitofish ( Males only for the colour and to stop breeding )
some tetras are ok with harder water like the x-ray tetra
Cherry barbs are ok in harder water but like it a bit cooler
Neo shrimp ( Cherries ) and Amano do well in hard water
Celebes rainbowfish should do ok in hard water as well, but your limited on tank size really.
Sorry I’ve just read my post and I can see why you were confused, my bad.

Thank you, I’ll have a look at the xray tetra and go from there. I didn’t want a tank full of fish, I was really hoping for a school of tetra and some cool looking bottom dwellers/feeders like unusual snails (that don’t multiply by the hour or eat all of my plants) and the Thai minature crabs but I haven’t checked the water hardness with them yet or compatibility and what I have read so far seems to say you rarely see them and they don’t live past 6 months to a year.

I also haven’t checked the ph yet, should I wait as I added more ammonia today?

I’d really like to plan what to get and in what order while I wait for the cycle.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner

You can do. Test the tap and tank water to get an idea what you are working with :) Sometimes it can raise or lower slightly in the tank due to sand/rock etc.

Take a look at Nerite snails and Rabbit snails. Nerites will lay eggs everywhere but they won't hatch in fresh water and Rabbit snails need a pair to breed and even then, will only have a few babies at a time. Both come in strange colourations :)
Fish

fr499y wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 14:25 pm You can do. Test the tap and tank water to get an idea what you are working with :) Sometimes it can raise or lower slightly in the tank due to sand/rock etc.

Take a look at Nerite snails and Rabbit snails. Nerites will lay eggs everywhere but they won't hatch in fresh water and Rabbit snails need a pair to breed and even then, will only have a few babies at a time. Both come in strange colourations :)
Okay I’ll do that later and see, thank you.

Also something that’s been on my mind, what on earth do you do with the excess fish when they lay eggs or give birth? Do they eat them? I live in a tiny 2 up 2 down so getting extra tanks is not an option really and I’m started to get concerned about being over run.

Ah yes I was looking at rabbit snails yesterday!

I presume there isn’t a way to soften the water?