Understanding water hardness

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4260 times
Been liked: 3919 times

Fish wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 20:35 pm I can’t help but feel I’ve annoyed you… I don’t have 40 years of experience or know the trusted websites for information. In the same way you wouldn’t know for my area of work. It’s only natural I’d use a search engine at the beginning of my journey. I mean, I am here after all. Asking questions to make sure I do things correctly. Trying to work out what is right and wrong. I have adhd and struggle to absorb and retain a lot of written information (and let’s face it, there is a LOT to learn in regards to fish keeping). I have however always excelled when watching and doing - but that isn’t really practical in this case.
Unfeel yourself! :grin: I'm not annoyed, I do apologise though, think I've overwhelmed you with information.

Fish shop Matt does some good videos on for beginners; YouTube: @FishShopMatt
Fish wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 20:35 pm Thank you for your suggestion. Corydoras were something I originally wanted. The tank is 54 litre so I presume I’d have to cut down on those numbers?
Only by a couple.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Fish
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 9 times

Martinspuddle wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 21:15 pm
Fish wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 20:35 pm I can’t help but feel I’ve annoyed you… I don’t have 40 years of experience or know the trusted websites for information. In the same way you wouldn’t know for my area of work. It’s only natural I’d use a search engine at the beginning of my journey. I mean, I am here after all. Asking questions to make sure I do things correctly. Trying to work out what is right and wrong. I have adhd and struggle to absorb and retain a lot of written information (and let’s face it, there is a LOT to learn in regards to fish keeping). I have however always excelled when watching and doing - but that isn’t really practical in this case.
Unfeel yourself! :grin: I'm not annoyed, I do apologise though, think I've overwhelmed you with information.

Fish shop Matt does some good videos on for beginners; YouTube: @FishShopMatt
Fish wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 20:35 pm Thank you for your suggestion. Corydoras were something I originally wanted. The tank is 54 litre so I presume I’d have to cut down on those numbers?
Only by a couple.
I’ll check him out, thank you 🙂 It’s actually 56 litre, getting mixed up with my last tank (64)!
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 862 times
Been liked: 1832 times

Going back to rabbit snails, don’t listen to people who say they breed slowly 🤣. I started with 2 adults and now I have too many smaller ones to count. I was having to pull out the baby baby ones as soon as I saw them for a while until my LFS (not actually very local and we only visit once or twice a year) said they’d take my spares. I reckon I get 1 a week and I only have one of the original adults left!
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.
Fish

VikingMummy2015 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 23:41 pm Going back to rabbit snails, don’t listen to people who say they breed slowly 🤣. I started with 2 adults and now I have too many smaller ones to count. I was having to pull out the baby baby ones as soon as I saw them for a while until my LFS (not actually very local and we only visit once or twice a year) said they’d take my spares. I reckon I get 1 a week and I only have one of the original adults left!

I’m so sorry, I missed this! Oh, they’re quite large too aren’t they 🤣 I’ll only get one if I do, so I presume it’ll only be a problem if it got jiggy with it before coming to me 🙈
Fish

I did some window shopping last week and the endlers are quite pretty! I also spotted galaxy rasboras and seriously fish tells me they like the same hardness of water as the endlers?

So looking at aqadvisor I was thinking of 8 endlers, 8 galaxy rasbora, 6 red cherry shrimp and a rabbit snail. Does that sound okay? Without the rabbit snail (as I can’t find it in the list!) it takes me to 59% full so they should be happy and not overcrowded?
DuzMano
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 15 times

Gives plenty of room for the inevitable endler breeding?
Duz "'Scape Noob" Mano

Duz Mano's Leddy XL
Fish

DuzMano wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 17:19 pm Gives plenty of room for the inevitable endler breeding?
The ones I saw were all very colourful, doesn’t that mean they were all male? 🤞 I really don’t want to have to deal with endless babies 😬
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1792 times
Been liked: 4240 times

Keep all males and you won't worry about breeding. The females are pretty bland and bigger so easy to tell apart :)
Fish

Awesome, I think I’ve decided on the mix then! I’ll start with the endlers first 😁