Duckweed.

BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 696 times
Been liked: 1686 times

I met an elderly gentleman at one of my local fish shops about 6 weeks ago and got talking to him about duckweed, as there was a little in the plant tank. He said to me that if you allow Silvinia to grow really thick, it will replace the duckweed. I thought it unlikely to work, but I thought I'd give it a go in two of my tanks. I cleaned the bulk of the Silvinia today, and it appears to have worked! I'm going on holiday for two weeks tomorrow and I'm hoping that when I return, it has all gone.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to how it has just disappeared, but it appears to have done just that.

Has anybody ever heard of this before?
Instagram - @the.cornish.fishkeeper
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4260 times
Been liked: 3919 times

I believe it also works with Pistia stratiotes. Water lettuce and Silvinia out grow and spread over the Duckweed denying it sufficient light to grow.

Only one problem with this idea in a planted aquarium, it also cuts out the light to your other plants in turn.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Martinspuddle wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 19:29 pm I believe it also works with Pistia stratiotes. Water lettuce and Silvinia out grow and spread over the Duckweed denying it sufficient light to grow.

Only one problem with this idea in a planted aquarium, it also cuts out the light to your other plants in turn.
More than happy with that if it gets rid of the leaves straight out of Satan's garden.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1792 times
Been liked: 4240 times

I’ve never had a problem just netting it out of the tank. I currently have giant duckweed as it’s not as bad and looks pretty nice 😁
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

I have issues getting rid of it due to the HMF's. There is always a tiny bit in the foam. I have noticed a tiny bit this morning that I've hopefully caught.