Water levels

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
Vicstod
Has liked: 4 times

Hi,

I recently purchased a tank for my son that currently has 4 temperate fish. However I keep seeing contradicting information in regards to levels so have turned to here for help and guidance and possible a dummies guide on what is ideal? We are currently 2 weeks in. And using the 5 in 1 strips and then ammonia strips + filter boost.

Going of the above guide, at 14 days our levels appear to be:

Nitrite 0.5
Nitrate 50
Hard 7
Carbon 20
Ph 7.2

The carbon hardness has rose. Any help is appreciated as we begin this journey I want to ensure we are doing what’s needed.
Fish
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 9 times

I’m new to fish keeping myself but I do know you want to get an API master test kit as the strips can be unreliable 😊 I also can’t see an ammonia test on there (ammonia and nitrites should be O).
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4260 times
Been liked: 3919 times

Greetings :] & welcome to AF-UK
Vicstod wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 17:53 pm However I keep seeing contradicting information in regards to levels so have turned to here for help and guidance and possible a dummies guide on what is ideal?
There is,

Free download, but I'd suggest reading our guides instead, link: How to cycle your aquarium

You say two weeks, how long is since you added the fish and what species are they?

Also, please post the aquarium size, type. :]
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Vicstod

Fish wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 18:05 pm I’m new to fish keeping myself but I do know you want to get an API master test kit as the strips can be unreliable 😊 I also can’t see an ammonia test on there (ammonia and nitrites should be O).
Will do that thank you. Ammonia was 0 at last test. As was nitrite on the one before. It is really hard to judge when it is none of the colours.
Vicstod

Martinspuddle wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 18:50 pm Greetings :] & welcome to AF-UK
Vicstod wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 17:53 pm However I keep seeing contradicting information in regards to levels so have turned to here for help and guidance and possible a dummies guide on what is ideal?
There is,

Free download, but I'd suggest reading our guides instead, link: How to cycle your aquarium

You say two weeks, how long is since you added the fish and what species are they?

Also, please post the aquarium size, type. :]
Thanks, the first went in 12 days ago. White Cloud/gold Mountain Minnow. 24litre tank with filter, heater to keep between 18-23.
Martinspuddle
Has liked: 4260 times
Been liked: 3919 times

Vicstod wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 19:45 pm Thanks, the first went in 12 days ago. White Cloud/gold Mountain Minnow. 24litre tank with filter, heater to keep between 18-23.
Vicstod wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 17:53 pm We are currently 2 weeks in.
Do I take it the aquatic / pet store told you this was OK to do this? Unfortunately, many store don't give very good advice to new fishkeepers.

Problem is without a fully cycled filter the Nitrite in your case 0.5 is toxic to your fish, although I will say Tanichthys albonubes are pretty robust species.

I suggest you test daily to keep an eye on the levels and change water when they do rise. Are you using a tap water dechlorinator?

Please read our guide: How to cycle your aquarium

We'll help you through this, any issue, don't hesitate to ask. :]
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1792 times
Been liked: 4240 times

What Martin said! And welcome to AF-UK 😁
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5069 times
Been liked: 3427 times

Welcome to the forum. :)
Also agree with Martin. :)
Water change if you see any ammonia or nitrite. Seachem Prime is a water conditioner that will help neutralize ammonia and nitrite to a point, use it with every water change anyway, it runs out the cheapest as you have to use so little. Get a syringe to measure it. ;)
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Flex365
FOTM & TOTM Winner
FOTM & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 328 times
Been liked: 236 times

Welcome Home :)
Vicstod

Hi,

I purchased the kit recommended. Levels appear to be:

Ammonia - 0.25 (which should be 0?)
Nitrite - 2.0 (again should be 0?)
Nitrate - 0.25 (if we have to pick from guide I’d say 0.5)
Ph 7.4 - 8.0 ?

The last few days algae has started to appear on the tank. Given the above do I keep letting it newly cycle as new and no more fish added. Or should I start doing partial water changes?

Sorry, this is harder than I thought and my son has been asking for a tank for so many years I want it to succeed. 🫣

Thanks in advance