Cracked Tank

Aquarium Decor, DIY and Equipment.
Sixo
Posting Legend
Has liked: 536 times
Been liked: 323 times

Hi folks,

So I may have a bit of a problem.

Whilst carrying out a water change tonight I’ve discovered a crack on the side of my Juwel Rio:

It’s not cracked from the inside and I’ve not really been able to feel it from the outside with it being under the plastic frame. I’ve kept the water level just below upon refilling but it is worrying me now that I’ve found it, the tank was level upon setting up so I’m not sure what’s happened. Potentially my son has maybe whacked it with something.

Has anybody had anything like this? Just wondered what the likelihood is of it blowing out or something.

I’ve not had a great week for things outside the hobby and now a bit fearful for the tank.

Thanks folks
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4279 times
Been liked: 3927 times

Empty time! I'd wouldn't fill it up or trust it really.

Either you'll have to get it repaired or braced.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Sixo
Posting Legend

To be honest if I have to empty it I think I’m done with the hobby I’m sad to say 😔.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1799 times
Been liked: 4280 times

Oo doesn’t look too tasty that! You might be able to silicone a piece over it and be ok, and as it’s under the top cover you won’t see it.
DuzMano
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 26 times

I was wondering if appyling a UV curing resin into the crack would be quick and safe enough to do while not fully emptying the tank much like they do with windscreen repairs may at least prevent it getting worse, then of course do the other suggestion from fr499y for added strength ..
Duz "'Scape Noob" Mano

Duz Mano's Leddy XL
Sixo
Posting Legend

Well a few days later it’s still holding up. After being a bit down on the hobby the family have talked me into sticking with it so I’ve ordered a new tank to be safer.
DuzMano
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 26 times

Sixo wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 20:15 pm Well a few days later it’s still holding up. After being a bit down on the hobby the family have talked me into sticking with it so I’ve ordered a new tank to be safer.
Awesome. Enjoy setting up your new 'scape!
Duz "'Scape Noob" Mano

Duz Mano's Leddy XL