Green algae

Request information on fish, plants or other aquarium issues.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5091 times
Been liked: 3436 times

I've known Rift Lake keepers rotate the rock and bleaching the algae-stricken rock in the sun (when there is any). ;)
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Annie
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 151 times

Gullion17 wrote:
Annie wrote:
Gullion17 wrote:
Annie wrote: Hi and welcome to the site, think when you add a photo there’s a button that’s says ‘insert into post’ which you need to click as well.
Have a go, would love to see your tank. ;)
Thanks Annie, hope this works ie sent a few pics cause my tank always looks different depending on the light colour I use. Theres loads of combinations to choose so I never get bored lol :D
Wow  :)  Smart looking tank, great styling.

I’m very new to this fish keeping lark, just got my first eight fish today  :P  so not sure what fish you have in there ?
Theres a mixture of peacocks and haps and a couple of quite peaceful Malawi cichids…..they all seem to get on relatively well so I don't really get too much bullying or fights breaking out  :D   I know cichlids are reknowned for fighting but fingers crossed ive found a decent mix plus all the rocks and caves help. What fish have you got?
Your fish are very beautiful and colourful !

We made our first purchase yesterday  :P  8 black widow tetras, we only have a 168l tank. More purchases end of next week, looking at bottom dwellers next  :)
Bikini Bottom - 168l Bronze, Peppered & Albino Cory, Black Widows, Cherry & Green Tiger Barb, Amanos The Kremlin - 58l  Bronze Corys
QT - 15l
Bronze Cory Fry
Gullion17

Cheltgirl wrote: Hi. This is most likely an algae. You are using ocean rock which is mostly calcium. Algae that grows on ocean rock can be as hard as the rock itself. It’s similar to the hard algae that you get in saltwater tanks growing on the live ocean rock. My marine tank was covered in purple algae just like that. It was a good job I love purple!! I did have a couple of small sections with green and even and orange.

It is not harmful and can be left if you don’t mind the discolouration. To get it off you would have to chip it with something sharp like a small chisel, out of the tank obviously.

How long are your lights on? Under/excessive lighting can cause algae and can be hard to get a good balance.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thankyou that is very useful. I know its a freshwater tank but my ph is high and i have lots of calcium in there from my rock, shells and substrate. It would make more sense that it was some calcium based algae as just like you say it actually needs chipping off....i doubt even a hard brush would work. As far as lighting goes it actually seems to grow better under low lightning or none at all...but it does only grow slow. The rock in the picture has taken about 8 month for that growth and its still short of being half covered.But yeh if its not hurting anything i like the colour it brings to the rock.....i think i would have preferred purple given the choice though  :D  thanks for your reply
Last edited by Gullion17 on Sun Feb 10, 2019 18:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gullion17

Annie wrote:
Gullion17 wrote:
Annie wrote:
Gullion17 wrote:
Annie wrote: Hi and welcome to the site, think when you add a photo there’s a button that’s says ‘insert into post’ which you need to click as well.
Have a go, would love to see your tank. ;)
Thanks Annie, hope this works ie sent a few pics cause my tank always looks different depending on the light colour I use. Theres loads of combinations to choose so I never get bored lol :D
Wow  :)  Smart looking tank, great styling.

I’m very new to this fish keeping lark, just got my first eight fish today  :P  so not sure what fish you have in there ?
Theres a mixture of peacocks and haps and a couple of quite peaceful Malawi cichids…..they all seem to get on relatively well so I don't really get too much bullying or fights breaking out  :D   I know cichlids are reknowned for fighting but fingers crossed ive found a decent mix plus all the rocks and caves help. What fish have you got?
Your fish are very beautiful and colourful !

We made our first purchase yesterday  :P  8 black widow tetras, we only have a 168l tank. More purchases end of next week, looking at bottom dwellers next  :)
They are nice and colourful but on the downside they can be really nasty with each other. Ive lost ones in the past when theyve fell a little ill then the rest have literally bullied them to death....i always get them out quickly now and put the in a little quarantine tank to get better. I also have to be careful when putting new fish in.  You Will have to put some pics of your tank on when you have a few fish in and its all established. If you after some bottom dwelling fish a small pleco of some type is pretty cool and helpful at the same time. I have two bristlenose ones....a normal one and a golden one....they dont grow big but they keep my tank looking tidy....
Annie
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 151 times

Oh exciting times in your tank then !
If you check my thread in the ‘what’s happening in your aqaurium’ section, you’ll see my tank log, Annie’s Tank - Bikini Bottom, a homage to Spongebob Square Pants :D there’s some photos of my new additions, it’s near the end of the thread as it was only yesterday I posted the pics.
We hope to get some bottom feeders in the week, some bronze Corys :) more pics will follow lol
Bikini Bottom - 168l Bronze, Peppered & Albino Cory, Black Widows, Cherry & Green Tiger Barb, Amanos The Kremlin - 58l  Bronze Corys
QT - 15l
Bronze Cory Fry