Snail tank cycling

Cheltgirl
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 14 times

I’ve got the idea in my head of using our ridiculously small 9 litre tank that can’t be used for anything else as a snail tank.

I’ll get it setup and running and let it build up some biofilm before adding snails but should I properly cycle it? (I would just get a bit of sponge from one of our other filters to save time) or can I just put new sponge in the filter and go from there?

Having done many full cycles the snails that have hitchhiked have always been fine so not sure?!

Thoughts please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
500L Sooperhooge Goldfish tank :)
200L The Barbarium….Tiger barbs and a very grumpy BN plec
200L Marine Reef.....stocking in progress!
Annie
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 151 times

Good question !
We are cycling The Kremlin but there are snails already in and doing Ok. ;)

Not any posh ones of course hehe
Last edited by Annie on Tue Mar 05, 2019 13:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bikini Bottom - 168l Bronze, Peppered & Albino Cory, Black Widows, Cherry & Green Tiger Barb, Amanos The Kremlin - 58l  Bronze Corys
QT - 15l
Bronze Cory Fry
Jota

What kind of snails? If it's just those pond snails you get as unwanted visitors on plants then they can handle it. If it's fancy snails I'd probably do a cycle with an air filter using a sponge from a mature tank to make it quicker.
Cheltgirl
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

It would definitely be some fancy ones (got plenty of hitchhikers in other tanks) I have a little filter I can use. It only holds a tiny bit of sponge so none of the other filters will miss it.

I suppose dosing some ammonia for a week or 3 won’t hurt and will give the biofilm a chance to build up a bit. I was just hoping to avoid having to do a cycle out of sheer laziness :D and having to get the stinky ammonia out again :(

Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5473 times
Been liked: 2683 times

Why not just take a small portion (for snails it probably would be tiny!) of media from your established filter and test it with 1ppm ammonia (or less maybe?), it should help speed up the cycle if it needs to cycle at all.
I’ve done it when moving fish into QT, just taken a small amount of media from my filter to “cycle” the QT filter, without any issues.
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
Jota

I imagine these snails wouldn't produce a high, medium or even a low bioload anyway (when compared to fish) so doing a fishless cycle to create a bacteria level that could cope with 2ppm ammonia is moot because your snails will never get anywhere near that level and so any bacteria population you establish will die out due to lack of a food source (ammonia) once cycled.

Maybe just add media from and established tank and get the snails in from day one and just be careful to remove uneaten food like courgettes or whatever you feed them on after a few hours.
Cheltgirl
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Yes I will be taking some media from elsewhere so it won’t take ages. I just didn’t want to be dosing ammonia for a couple weeks while building up the biofilm.

I suppose I could run the filter empty to start with leave a light on for a week then put media in the filter when it’s a bit gunked up? Theoretically I’d only have to dose a tiny bit of ammonia for a couple of days then just to make sure?

Does that sound sensible?

Cheltgirl
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

A very quick google says that snails either produce hardly any waste so it’s no extra bioload on a filter (or minimal) or they are massively messy and will ruin your tank so errrr :D

:D :D

I’ve only had snails in tanks where there has been some other life form as well never on their own so hence the confusion :)

Last edited by Cheltgirl on Tue Mar 05, 2019 14:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jota

Was looking at Mystery Snail guide and they recommend 5 gallons per snail.
Cheltgirl
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

[quote="Jota" pid='20882' dateline='1551795945']
Was looking at Mystery Snail guide and they recommend 5 gallons per snail.
[/quote]

That’s over 20 litres?! Hmmm. Mystery snails can get pretty big I suppose.

I was thinking of a nerite or 2 another batman snail and maybe something else. Not totally decided yet.