Hi new here

Tell us a bit about yourself!
Mymel
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 5 times

Hello everyone,just wanted to introduce myself and ask a little advice about my water.
Today the 3 week setup period for my 30 l dennerle nano tank ended.Living in London I struggle with my water. I changed water yesterday and I don’t seem to get itunder control.
Iam planning to keep neocardinia and ordered some on eBay so time is of the essence to get it right. I will attach a picture of the test strip from today so any recommendations welcome. I used rainwater for the water change yesterday.
Mel
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1422 times
Been liked: 3421 times

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Those test strips are not reliable, a liquid test kit would be better such as the API Master Freshwater test kit.

3 weeks cycling an aquarium is a very short period.
How did you cycle the aquarium ?

London water is fairly hard which would be good for some shrimp.
Using rain water for a water change will likely bugger up your water parameters. Keeping the parameters stable is more beneficial.
Which water conditioner do you use ? This will be the brand of dechlorinator which is added to new water before adding to the aquarium so that the chlorine/chloramine in the new water is totally removed.

All the best
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 13 x Cory caudimaculatus, 10 x Cory sterbai 49 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)

Powered by EHEIM
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1802 times
Been liked: 4288 times

Test kits can be inaccurate, so would recommend buying an api liquid master kit instead 👍

As said, stick with your tap water and stock accordingly. Trying to soften it with rain water can cause more problems, especially in a city!
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 3927 times

Greetings :] & Welcome to AF-UK
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Mymel
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 5 times

Well 3 weeks is the minimum recommended time 🙃 I use easy life Filter medium and pure aquarium balls and have fed the plants for them growing quickly

Ok noted to get a better water test kit and only change with tap.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5479 times
Been liked: 2684 times

Hello and welcome :)
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1422 times
Been liked: 3421 times

Mymel wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:34 am Well 3 weeks is the minimum recommended time 🙃 I use easy life Filter medium and pure aquarium balls and have fed the plants for them growing quickly

Ok noted to get a better water test kit and only change with tap.
Easy Life filter medium and Pure aquarium balls will not cycle your aquarium. Who told you that 3 weeks is the minimum recommended time ?
There are 3 proven products to assist a fish-in cycle (although we recommend a fish-less cycle), those 3 products are Seachem Stability, Tetra SafeStart and Dr.Tim’s One & Only.
These are basically scientifically proven "bacteria in a bottle" products.
As you have already ordered your shrimp then I would suggest getting Seachem Stability and dosing the aquarium as per the instructions. (I would remove and ditch the pure aquarium balls).

Are you using a conditioner to remove the chlorine/chloramine from the tap water ?
Removing the chlorine/chloramine is important.
I would recommend Seachem Prime as a conditioner/dechlorinator as it works well with the Seachem Stability.

When starting on the fish/shrimp keeping venture many people are blinded by the advise given by their LFS (local fish stockist) or by bad advise from sites such as Facebook.
The LFS is more interested in selling products (it pays their wages) and sell products that they sell. Some LFS are excellent, some are good and some are quite bad. Places such as Pets at Home usually have inexperienced staff and will direct you to a product which is often over-priced and not needed.
Here on aquariumforums.co.uk we have experience and knowledgeable members who will give good, honest advise (we don't sell anything).

All the best
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 13 x Cory caudimaculatus, 10 x Cory sterbai 49 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)