Cleaning sponges in tap water v aquarium water

The science behind successful fishkeeping.
Lo1
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 223 times

Really interesting video on whether cleaning filter sponges in tap water will kill of all the beneficial bacteria:

:swim: :swim2: :swim:

NACD OptiWhite Aquarium 140l,
F Zone Stainless Steel 15l filter,
Eheim powerLED+ fresh daylight,
Eheim powerLED+ fresh plants,
AI Nero 3 Powerhead,
Twinstar Nano Sterilizer,
Co2 Art PRO-SE.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5064 times
Been liked: 3426 times

There is no way I would ever suggest using tapwater here - I've done it when I first kept fish and wondered why I had such big losses.
I always understood that it probably doesn't kill ALL the "munchers", but it will lower the ability of the colonies to cope with the bioload....
I don't suggest anyone follows that routine. I'd rather keep my fish as safely as possible.
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3414 times

Prime Time Aquatics are demonstrating that a short period of time exposed to tap water has very little effect on the beneficial bacteria.
The science is based on a US science paper that shows that all beneficial bacteria is killed if exposed to tap water for around one hour, therefore exposure to tap water for only 2-3 minutes has minimal effect.
Prime Time Aquatics also state that the sponge filters are not really dirty in the first place.
I understand what they are saying and the science behind the claims. However ....
plankton wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:23 am There is no way I would ever suggest using tapwater here - I've done it when I first kept fish and wondered why I had such big losses.
I always understood that it probably doesn't kill ALL the "munchers", but it will lower the ability of the colonies to cope with the bioload....
I don't suggest anyone follows that routine. I'd rather keep my fish as safely as possible.
I agree with @plankton .
I use two external filters (no sponge filters) and clean my external filters on rotation to protect the precious beneficial bacteria.
I also use dechorinated water (tank water) when cleaning as the cleaning is done after (or during) water changes.
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 11 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)

Powered by EHEIM
wingnut55
Tank of the Year 2022
Tank of the Year 2022
Has liked: 302 times
Been liked: 385 times

I have three filters running on our Aquarium, two Eheim Pro 4+ 600's and a Fluval FX6, all filters have the Eheim pre-filters attached, even the FX6, the pre-filters are round sponges, i would never dream of cleaning them under a tap, they get rinsed out in the last bucket of tank water, and are cleaned in a rotation.

So i think cleaning any filter media with water straight from the tap should be a no no. JMO..

Ian + Karen.
SPACKlick
Posting Legend
Has liked: 399 times
Been liked: 412 times

I clean my prefilters in Tap water because they're not intended as biofiltration, just mechanical. I don't mind cleaning the ceramic rings at the bottom of my filters in tap water because they're meant for flow adjustment, not biofiltration.

Knowing the contents of the video above I have in a pinch rinsed my main sponges in tap water when I made a mistake during a tank clean and noticed no effect on my cycle. It's nice to know it's not likely to have a huge effect but I wouldn't want to rely on it. Especially as the amount of chlorine in Tap Water varies over time depending on what your provider is doing.
250L: Tank Log
2 female Bristlenose Pleco, 24 Cherry Barbs 7M:17F, 4 Reticulated Flying Foxes, 17 Neon Tetra, 15 Lemon Tetra, 11 Yellow/Orange Cherry Shrimp, 1 Zebra Nerite Snail, 3 Olve Nerite Snails, 4 Horned Nerite snails, 25 Amano Shrimp, Many Malaysian Trumpet Snails - AqAdvisor
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

The bottom line is every filter is different. There are wars being waged between different bacteria and archaea species. Populations grow and contract. They all have different tolerances to chlorine and other toxins.
Cleaning media quickly under the tap usually won’t be a problem, but as already said chlorine concentrations in tapwater can vary from day to day (and there’s usually more at weekends), so it can kill a filter, or enough of it to cause problems, so why risk it? It’s only a matter of time…
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
FishyMcFishFace
Has liked: 175 times
Been liked: 100 times

This will be probably be disagreed with, but IMO you shouldn’t be relying on sponges for BB, I clean mine monthly, like rinse and squeeze in warm water. You BB in my opinion should be enough in ur mechanical filter. Sponges are their to filter water/waste not for a BB store, I’m not judging anyone btw just my opinion.
Aquamanta 90L Nano
6 Cardinal Tetra
4 Pepper Cory
6 Galaxy Rasbora
6 Amber Tetra
2 Rams (1 blue, 1 golden (breeding))

... More to come...
FishyMcFishFace
Has liked: 175 times
Been liked: 100 times

I also boil my filter floss probably once a month. If ur using a clarifier/buffer u need too they work as a like a binder and all the small particles get bound together and then the filter floss collects them. If u don’t replace or clean ur floss it will become saturated, and won’t work propoerly.
Aquamanta 90L Nano
6 Cardinal Tetra
4 Pepper Cory
6 Galaxy Rasbora
6 Amber Tetra
2 Rams (1 blue, 1 golden (breeding))

... More to come...