Gauging suitable flow rate

Aquarium Decor, DIY and Equipment.
Lo1
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 223 times

My 15l F Zone filter is also setup as he suggested.
:swim: :swim2: :swim:

NACD OptiWhite Aquarium 140l,
F Zone Stainless Steel 15l filter,
Eheim powerLED+ fresh daylight,
Eheim powerLED+ fresh plants,
AI Nero 3 Powerhead,
Twinstar Nano Sterilizer,
Co2 Art PRO-SE.
Lo1
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 223 times

Bluetaurus wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 15:14 pm
I have 2 as I felt the media in the built in filter wasn't sufficient for the size of tank.
Respect for making this comment.

The filter turnover of an aquarium should be 5 to 10 times its volume per hour, depending on the stocking and planting level.

Therefore, your Superfish turnover should be 550 to 1100 L per hour. Sadly, the manufacturers of filters for Aquariums place a figure on the box which you will be lucky to get half off. They rate their pumps without any media in the filter or any kind of tubing attached.

The Eheim 5e 450 I had, is rated at 1750l per hour. Yet the electronic control panel Eheim provided with this filter showed it could not get above 904 L per hour with media and tubing. The 940l was only possible when the filter had been cleaned, and the media not clogged in anyway. While bacteria will colonise within the gravel, on ornaments, and even on the inside of the glass. I am still of the old school opinion, that believes a filter should do, exactly what a filter should do, that is filter the aquarium.
:swim: :swim2: :swim:

NACD OptiWhite Aquarium 140l,
F Zone Stainless Steel 15l filter,
Eheim powerLED+ fresh daylight,
Eheim powerLED+ fresh plants,
AI Nero 3 Powerhead,
Twinstar Nano Sterilizer,
Co2 Art PRO-SE.
SPACKlick
Posting Legend
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 412 times

Lo1 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 19:12 pm This might help get a little more from one of your filters:

I would be careful recommending his videos, whilst there are some good ideas in there a lot of his claims aren't backed up when put into practice and it always raises alarms when someone who stands to benefit from a product recommends it with dodgy promises.
250L: Tank Log
2 female Bristlenose Pleco, 24 Cherry Barbs 7M:17F, 4 Reticulated Flying Foxes, 17 Neon Tetra, 15 Lemon Tetra, 11 Yellow/Orange Cherry Shrimp, 1 Zebra Nerite Snail, 3 Olve Nerite Snails, 4 Horned Nerite snails, 25 Amano Shrimp, Many Malaysian Trumpet Snails - AqAdvisor
Bluetaurus
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 76 times

Lo1 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:46 am
Bluetaurus wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 15:14 pm
I have 2 as I felt the media in the built in filter wasn't sufficient for the size of tank.
Respect for making this comment.

The filter turnover of an aquarium should be 5 to 10 times its volume per hour, depending on the stocking and planting level.

Therefore, your Superfish turnover should be 550 to 1100 L per hour. Sadly, the manufacturers of filters for Aquariums place a figure on the box which you will be lucky to get half off. They rate their pumps without any media in the filter or any kind of tubing attached.

The Eheim 5e 450 I had, is rated at 1750l per hour. Yet the electronic control panel Eheim provided with this filter showed it could not get above 904 L per hour with media and tubing. The 940l was only possible when the filter had been cleaned, and the media not clogged in anyway. While bacteria will colonise within the gravel, on ornaments, and even on the inside of the glass. I am still of the old school opinion, that believes a filter should do, exactly what a filter should do, that is filter the aquarium.
Exactly.
I don't suffer with any ammonia or nitrite spikes at the moment running 2 filters . The built in superfish offering simply didn't cut it.
Not sure if the flow from each is counter productive as at opposite ends, but it certainly gets filtered.
Superfish home 110 ,Superfish aqua pro 300 filter, + APS hob 500 filter.
Low tech set up.
Bluetaurus
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 76 times

SPACKlick wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:56 am
Lo1 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 19:12 pm This might help get a little more from one of your filters:

I would be careful recommending his videos, whilst there are some good ideas in there a lot of his claims aren't backed up when put into practice and it always raises alarms when someone who stands to benefit from a product recommends it with dodgy promises.
To be fair I'm using his bio gravel in my 2 filters. I emailed him 3 days ago asking when I can expect near zero nitrates as claimed. He did point out that it could take between 4 to 6 months. Think it's been around 3 and my nitrates are still very high.
I'll give it till Christmas before I make a judgement on it. I do like his videos though and found them a big help in "pimping up" my 2 filters to make them hopefully more efficient.
Superfish home 110 ,Superfish aqua pro 300 filter, + APS hob 500 filter.
Low tech set up.