Knowlegeable suppliers

AQUAMAN

The local suppliers (Dartford) have proved pretty useless in helping me setting up my 105 litre tropical fish tank.
But then again, I am not the brightest of old gits.
Was advised to test water water with API Test Strips, only to read on this forum that they are inaccurate?

So, where too now? :hmm: :laugh:
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4253 times
Been liked: 3917 times

Greetings :] & welcome to AF-UK

Your lucky, you've got three aquatic stores locally.

I've not been there for a while but Swallow Aquatics at Gravesend always use to be good.

Millbrook Garden Centre, Station Rd, Southfleet, Gravesend DA13 9PA

Link here: Swallow Aquatics

Or there is a Maidenhead Aquatics near Dartford, don't think I've ever been to this store. Hawley Garden Centre & Nursery, DA2 7RB

Link here: Maidenhead Aquatics

Online I use aquacadabra and I haven't as yet been to their new store, which is near the bridge, Crossways Business Park, DA2 6QP, always helpful.

Link here: aquacadabra
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
John Linklater
Has liked: 250 times
Been liked: 90 times

The API master test kit is a popular choice. It might seem expensive but it lasts for a long time and if you do run out of a particular bottle you don’t have to buy the entire kit again, you can just buy the one you’ve used up. They also sell a gh and kh combined kit separately which I’ve found useful.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5064 times
Been liked: 3426 times

Welcome to the forum. :)
Any of the liquid kits are relatively easy to use, choose one where you can tell the difference between the colours. ;)
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Voylike
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Hi , I’m new to the hobby also and have had a lot of teething problems , the guys on here have helped tremendously, and the site itself has a lot of useful links and info to read through. The strips are useless I found, I used them to start with and was getting various colours each day! As said above the API master kit is easy to use and very accurate 👍🏼
SPACKlick
Posting Legend
Has liked: 399 times
Been liked: 412 times

Another endorsement for the API master test kit. Although once the ammonia runs out I replace it with the NT Labs equivalent because I find it easier to see the colour at low ammonia levels.
250L: Tank Log
2 female Bristlenose Pleco, 24 Cherry Barbs 7M:17F, 4 Reticulated Flying Foxes, 17 Neon Tetra, 15 Lemon Tetra, 11 Yellow/Orange Cherry Shrimp, 1 Zebra Nerite Snail, 3 Olve Nerite Snails, 4 Horned Nerite snails, 25 Amano Shrimp, Many Malaysian Trumpet Snails - AqAdvisor
AQUAMAN

Many thanks for all those helpful answers.
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3414 times

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Liquid test kits are more accurate than test strips.

You need to prepare the aquarium and filter ready for fish. This may take several weeks.
Dartford water is very hard at around 19dGH (degrees German hardness) this is important when selecting fish; some fish require soft water and some need hard water.

All the best
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 11 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)