Starting Again with Plants

plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5091 times
Been liked: 3436 times

I don't use root tabs or soil under the sand (which has been in the tanks for over 20 years now) and still get good growth on crypts.
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 3927 times

plankton wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:52 am I don't use root tabs or soil under the sand (which has been in the tanks for over 20 years now) and still get good growth on crypts.
Did you plant heavily when you started your aquarium?

I'd suggest your plants grow well now because your sand substrate is is well and truly matured after twenty years.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5091 times
Been liked: 3436 times

Martinspuddle wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:57 am
plankton wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:52 am I don't use root tabs or soil under the sand (which has been in the tanks for over 20 years now) and still get good growth on crypts.

I'd suggest your plants grow well now because your sand substrate is is well and truly matured after twenty years.
Not particularly heavily, but it wasn't light either as I had guppies that I wanted to provide cover for.
They've always grown well....although they're all floating in the guppy tank since "Grumpygraws" the BN decided he didn't want them planted.... :rolleyes:
All my tanks are overfiltered.
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Martinspuddle
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 3927 times

plankton wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:12 am
Martinspuddle wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:57 am

Not particularly heavily, but it wasn't light either as I had guppies that I wanted to provide cover for.
They've always grown well....although they're all floating in the guppy tank since "Grumpygraws" the BN decided he didn't want them planted.... :rolleyes:
All my tanks are overfiltered.
Lightly planted, with Guppies there was probably enough nutrients in the water column. :]

1983, my first aquarium, was a 24 x 10 x 10" inch with two 11 x 8" Algarde undergravel filters powered by a Whisper air pump, Sera 100w heater thermostat, plain aquarium gravel, a single 18" inch light tube in the metal tin hood and twenty fancy Guppies.

Plants, although there wasn't many, a Amazon sword and Cabomba grow quite well and no fertilizers where ever used, just waterchanges.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Sixo
Posting Legend
Has liked: 536 times
Been liked: 323 times

Any experts on Anubias out there? Was going to order a few to attach to wood. Are they all equally hardy? Any ones to avoid if I’m keeping things low-tech?
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1802 times
Been liked: 4288 times

easiest plant you'll get, just be careful they don't receive too much light as algae can take over :)