Hot weather

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
Fish
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 15 times

I’m just thinking in advance, if we get horribly hot weather this year, what do you do to keep the tank at the temp you want? I’m guessing ice cubes or frozen water in a bottle? But it seems like a hit and miss idea at making sure it stays at the same temp 🤔
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1802 times
Been liked: 4288 times

Nothing, I leave it as it is.
Fish

fr499y wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 17:24 pm Nothing, I leave it as it is.
Oh. Did the temperature not change then? I guess I’m just remembering how hot my house got when we had that really hot summer. Guess I’m overthinking it!
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 3927 times

If you watch some of the videos of Below Water on YouTube, it isn't unusual for water temperatures to hit 28°C to 30°C in the dry season in some parts of Orinoco basin in South America.

High water temperatures caused by warm weather only become an issue for cold water species or a Coral reef aquariums.
Last edited by Martinspuddle on Fri May 10, 2024 18:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1422 times
Been liked: 3421 times

Me too.

Although it may get warm (up to 30C on a hot Summer day) I don't really worry.
In their natural habitat the water temperature varies anyway, so a seasonal variation in our aquariums shouldn't really be a concern.
The only thing that may be of concern is oxygenation, as the aquarium water temperature rises then there is less oxygen.
Plenty of surface agitation and maybe the addition of an airstone at the warmer times.
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 13 x Cory caudimaculatus, 10 x Cory sterbai 49 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)

Powered by EHEIM
Fish

Martinspuddle wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 18:50 pm If you watch some of the videos of Below Water on YouTube, it isn't unusual for water temperatures to hit 28°C to 30°C in the dry season in some parts of Orinoco basin in South America.

High water temperatures caused by warm weather only become an issue for cold water species or a Coral reef aquariums.
I’ve just realised I’m being a bit of an idiot and didn’t take into consideration the fact they already have heated water. I was thinking back to when I had axolotl who need cold water.
Fish

Stephen wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 18:51 pm
Me too.

Although it may get warm (up to 30C on a hot Summer day) I don't really worry.
In their natural habitat the water temperature varies anyway, so a seasonal variation in our aquariums shouldn't really be a concern.
The only thing that may be of concern is oxygenation, as the aquarium water temperature rises then there is less oxygen.
Plenty of surface agitation and maybe the addition of an airstone at the warmer times.
Thank you. My filter doesn’t agitate the water a huge amount so will definitely get a cheap air stone.
Martinspuddle
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 3927 times

Fish wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 21:04 pm will definitely get a cheap air stone.
Don't forget attach airline and pump to your shiny new air stone! :grin:
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
BAINBRIDGE
Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 60 times

There are a few things that I do to keep temps down in my display tank when we get a hot spell.

Once the room temperature gets to about 21c I unplug the tank heater and leave it unplugged. At the moment room temperature is about 22c but tank temp is 25c. It's like a heat sink that just sucks warmth up.

I reduce the duration of lights on. Even LEDs create heat and they do warm the water.

I've just bought a replacement set of lid flaps. I'm going to drill lots of holes in the new lid and glue some fine mesh on the back. So, the plan is that I'll lose some heat through evaporation but the jumpers won't leap to their death.

I had an incident 2 years ago during a very hot spell where several fish became ill. It might be coincidence but I think that it is bad for the fish when it gets hot.
Juwel Trigon 190:

5 Bronze Cory
1 Panda Cory
1 male BN Plec
15 Tiger barbs
5 Golden Wonder Panchax
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1802 times
Been liked: 4288 times

Why unplug a heater? If the room temp is higher than the heater then it won’t kick in anyway.