Return of the SPACK - Tank Log

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5077 times
Been liked: 3432 times

A really nice tank. :)
For the focus you either need to move away a couple of inches after you've focussed (where the background takes the focus) or a couple of inches closer (where the glass takes the focus). It's a lot of trial and error though. :D
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
SPACKlick
Posting Legend
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 412 times

Yeah, it has a slider that lies to me, I can select the focal length then when I hit capture there's some "smart focus assist" type thing that kicks in and the image is focussed on something other than it was in the preview. I'm trying various camera apps.
250L: Tank Log
2 female Bristlenose Pleco, 24 Cherry Barbs 7M:17F, 4 Reticulated Flying Foxes, 17 Neon Tetra, 15 Lemon Tetra, 11 Yellow/Orange Cherry Shrimp, 1 Zebra Nerite Snail, 3 Olve Nerite Snails, 4 Horned Nerite snails, 25 Amano Shrimp, Many Malaysian Trumpet Snails - AqAdvisor
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1793 times
Been liked: 4249 times

Android phone by any chance?
SPACKlick
Posting Legend

Yes, just upgraded from a motorolla G8 Power to a Pixel 7 Pro. The inbuilt camera app has very little in the way of control features and even what it does have seems secondary to the phone deciding what I wanted.
2 female Bristlenose Pleco, 24 Cherry Barbs 7M:17F, 4 Reticulated Flying Foxes, 17 Neon Tetra, 15 Lemon Tetra, 11 Yellow/Orange Cherry Shrimp, 1 Zebra Nerite Snail, 3 Olve Nerite Snails, 4 Horned Nerite snails, 25 Amano Shrimp, Many Malaysian Trumpet Snails - AqAdvisor
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1793 times
Been liked: 4249 times

Ahh, was going to suggest pro camera
SPACKlick
Posting Legend

I think I've found one that works. Open Camera.

I got a single individual in focus

And I liked this shot

This was interesting

And this had the whole Flying Fox gang in a stack and not bickering.
SPACKlick
Posting Legend

What a day. I'll try and retell it in order.

About half an hour before lights out, just before going to bed, I spotted one of my neons had a hole in the blue line on one side. On close inspecition it was a pale patch. On closer closer inspection it was some sort of cyst. Oh bugger, an unidentified disease, on a neon tetra, I fear it's Neon Tetra Disease and I've fucked the whole tank. So I do some googling, post on here and a few other fish forums. And quickly come to the conclusion I need to isolate the tetra.

Catching a single specific neon tetra with a single 6" by 5" net in a 5 foot tank with a brace in the middle is not my idea of fun. Especially whilst trying to stay silent because Dr Spacklick is in bed already. Eventually I catch the fish, by pausing to catch my breath and the sick fish swam into the net thinking a bit of leaf I'd netted was food. Aquatium Forums to the rescue and I'm told it's likely columnaris (Many thanks Black Ghost).
See Thread. I don't have meds on hand for that so have to place an order for something that I hope works on amazon. Nothing can be delivered till Saturday so I'll order now and ring round LFS in the morning.

Decide I probably need to do a big water change and gravel vac on the main tank in case its something contageous. And am stressing about the other problem. I have 15 Lemon Tetra and some shrimp arriving today and they were supposed to go in the quarantine tank. But I don't want to quarantine new fish with sick fish. I have a 64L tank in the loft and an old battered glass thing that I remember being 75L but measuring tells me it's 90L that I'm not sure is water tight and have been meaning to take to the tip for months. Whichever I set up will not be cycled for new fish.

I didn't sleep well because I was stressing about fish. I got up about 6am having been awake for a couple of hours and then realised there wasn't much I could do before Dr S wakes up in case she needs the shower. Prepped hoses and vacs etc. Confirmed no shower needed today and Did as much of a gravel vac on the main tank as I can. I am starting to see that this is more and more difficult in a planted tank with small gravel and sand than a large gravel only tank. 60-65% water taken out it's pointed out that I forgot to fill the kettle before hooking a hose to the kitchen tap, for which it may take a while to be forgiven.

Water change done I turn to the internet and my internal logic to work out which fish, which filters and which ilter sponges should be in which tank whilst digging through my box of spares to spec up a third unexpected tank on the floor of the spare bedroom. (I have a stand for the 64L but not the 90L and wanted the bigger tank in case the new fish were going in it). Turns out my hoarding tendencies came through and I could set up a tank although the air pump and air stone are both useless and were in storage for a reason.

Eventually I made the decision to move the sick neon and one cycled sponge to the new tank and then drain and wipe the current QT and refill it so the Lemons go in a cycled tank that's as clean as possible, so it's time to catch the tetra again. (admittedly easier in the smaller tank). He's looking really healthy other than the big white cyst looking thing on his side. Swimming well, responsive etc.

The fish delivery arrives with big "LIVE ANIMALS - HANDLE WITH CARE - THIS WAY UP" stickers on the box. so of course the delivery driver spins the box and tosses it from one hand to the other as he gets out of the van. Luckily the critters were very well packed and didn't seem to be the worse for it. Unfortunately he's arrived right as I'm called into an hour long emergency meeting at work that I cannot convince people would be better handled by an email. So I wipe down and float the bags and disappear off to get my ear talked off while all I can think about is the fish.

Drip acclimated the shrimp but because they were shipped for unknown time just temp acclimated the tetra and put them in the tank. I was expecting them to be quite washed out from the stress of travel but, I'll be honest, there's not a hint of yellow on them. Here's hoping they perk up a bit over the 6 week quarantine. (Adding two weeks to my usual because this whole experience has freaked me out a little). Shrimp have just gone in. Yellow cherries in the quarantine are looking perky. Need to keep them fed for now.

Bamboo shrimp went straight into the main tank because it's bloody tricky to keep them well fed in a bare bottom QT. One of the bamboo shrimp decided that the net at the water's surface was the ideal place to live and it took about 15 minutes to convince him to get off and go hang out in the plants.

So I unexpectedly have 3 tanks running, two of which I'll probably need to be medicating for the forseeable. I've pulled the small 100ml bag of purigen out of the main tank filter for the first time since its introduction 2 months ago. so need to recharge that. It's brown but not as dark as I've seen on other people's tanks and I have my sodium hypochlorite, seachem safe and Hydrogen peroxide. Didn't fancy dealing with those chemicals today with everything else going on so it's in a tupperware full of water.

Likely to be a long weekend. I had been intending to do quite a large block of mantenance on the plants this weekend uprooting lots of stems and replanting the tops. I think I might leave that another week for now.

Oh and if you have elections in your area today, don't forget you need ID to vote.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5077 times
Been liked: 3432 times

I hope everything goes smoothly after all that! :)
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
SPACKlick
Posting Legend

The little guy is looking a bit better this morning. Haven't checked on the shrimp or lemons as yet.
SPACKlick
Posting Legend

So, Lemon tetra and yellow/orange cherries are settled in to the QT. I lost two cherry shrimp in the first 18 hours, I don't know if it was stress, starvation, meds or what but the other 8 look active and strong, if not all brightly coloured so I'm hopeful. Lemons are still schooling quite tightly but eating well and mostly looking healthy. Initially I kept thinking the red round their eyes looked like disease but it's their natural color

ImageImageImage

Main tank os tiking along peacefully with the medication. I put off the big gardening till tomorrow. Two bamboo shrimp have settled in, I'm concerned the third might have died. There's either a pretty stiff moult in the tank or the picked at remains of a shrimp :meh: . One has installed himself on the back of the filter outlet, the other on the filter intake sponges. That's going to be difficult for water changes. Mrs Plec is unhappy because she finally broke the thin bit of wood at her favourite spot, she'd gnawed a couple of holes in it but it has entirely snapped now so she can't hide behind it. I'm trying to be dilligent in checking the physical form and behaviour of each fish in the tank furing the medical treatment, and I find myself constantly amazed at how hard it can be to find even the big flying fox in that tank. Fish are proper ninjas.

ImageImageImage

Someone on another forum is giving away a fire extinguisher and CO2 reactor and I'm going to try that to see if the tank can be a little less bubbly. If that doesn't work, I'm looking at a DIY PVC Horizontal reactor. I'm also churning round in the back of my head a design for a 680L tank with 120L sump that fits in the same space. I've been firmly told It's not going to happen in the next few years but it's ticking away.

EDIT: Just spotted, the elder of the two baby barbs has stopped hiding at the back of the tank and is now swimming round freely like the rest of the fish.