stock list thoughts recommendations??

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
Chadders
Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 40 times

Ok this was from the Think Fish.co.uk, using their stocking list suggestions. The first pic is my choice of fish and quantities the second dimensions and volume roughly of my tank. I say roughly because I've removed the internal filter. I'd also like advice recommendations on order of adding to the tank. I'll do this over a few weeks.

Andys temperate tank
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Has liked: 4378 times
Been liked: 2896 times

Alot of those fish need different water and wont get on.

I skimmed over the quantities, is it about 60 fish?
64l kitchen tank: 16 golden tetra.
5ft 425L: 3 blue angel fish, 30 rummie nose tetra, 20 black neon tetra, 1 longfin bristlenose plec, 2 corydoras sterbai, 24 corydoras duplicareas,2 SAE.
Chadders
Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 40 times

Andys temperate tank wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 21:34 pm Alot of those fish need different water and wont get on.

I skimmed over the quantities, is it about 60 fish?
Hmm can you provide more information? They are all described as community fish with peaceful natures, able to live side by side. I know Angelfish can be a bit of a pain. They are also described as being able to live in a reasonable range of PH and water hardness both of which fall within my current water parameters. This is information I've read on a number of websites and youtube videos etc
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 696 times
Been liked: 1686 times

There's a few problems with that list. Angelfish and bolivian rams would prefer higher temperatures and there is quite a few fish that like the opposite end of the scale in there - Panda Cory's, hillstream loach, WCM. The Rasboras could become a snack for the angels and kribs. Kribs, angels and rams would be a war as well. Rams and angels might be ok, but Kribs are a nightmare. Having kept them I think calling them a community fish is a bit of a stretch.

Looks like an awful lot of fish to me as well. I would suggest picking your feature fish and building completely around them and what they'll get on with.
Instagram - @the.cornish.fishkeeper
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 863 times
Been liked: 1835 times

Take heed of the huge list of warnings, and the red of the 92%. You want no warnings and green or just yellow on the stock %.
As Ben has said, lots of inconpatibilities in there with regards to temperature and temperament. Your tank isn’t much bigger than mine (remember to take off 10% of volume for substrate and hardscape at least!) and there’s no way i’d even dream of adding that number or that variety.

I will end up with 6 cherry barbs, 6 ottos, 11 cories, 10 Rummynose tetra, 2 honey gourami and 8 Congo tetra. That will be it “full”. I think their calculator reckoned that was nowhere near full.

Too many species, too few numbers of some, too many of others. Research each fish on Seriously Fish.com and research temperature range, level of flow (eg honeys need pretty calm, hillstream need fast) and best tankmates.
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.
SPACKlick
Posting Legend
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 412 times

Ok, so on top of the warnings above here is the list of warnings that set up gets on aqadvisor. (I assumed a width of 35.5cm and height of 60.5)
  • Warning: When Bolivian Ram starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with Cardinal Tetra.
  • Warning: When Kribensis starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with Cardinal Tetra.
  • Note: Hillstream Loach apreciates higher flow enviroments and needs higher amounts of oxygen in their water to live happily.
  • Warning: When Kribensis starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with Hillstream Loach.
  • Warning: When Kribensis starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with Kuhli Loach.
  • Warning: When Kribensis starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with Panda Cory.
  • Warning: When Kribensis starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with Honey Gourami.
  • Warning: Honey Gourami is not recommended to be with Dwarf Gourami - they may agressively fight.
  • Note: Bristlenose Pleco needs driftwood.
  • Warning: When Kribensis starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with White Cloud Mountain Minnow.
  • Suggestion: If you want to keep more than 1 Platy, minimum recommend male to female ratio is 1:2 (M:F). You will be less likely to experience problem if you get even more females.
  • Warning: When Kribensis starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with Platy.
  • Warning: Dwarf Gourami is not recommended to be with Honey Gourami - they may agressively fight.
  • Warning: When Kribensis starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with Dwarf Gourami.
  • Warning: When Bolivian Ram starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with Harlequin Rasbora.
  • Warning: When Kribensis starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with Harlequin Rasbora.
  • Warning: Your selected species may eventually require 127% of your aquarium space. You may need to deal with territorial aggressions later on. Try removing some of (Pangio kuhlii, Corydoras panda, Mikrogeophagus altispinosus, Pelvicachromis pulcher, Ancistrus sp., Pterophyllum scalare, Tanichthys albonubes, Golden ampullaria) or get a larger tank.
  • Your aquarium stocking level is 145%.
    Your tank is overstocked. Unless you are an experienced aquarist who can meet the maintenance/biological needs of this aquarium, lower stocking levels are recommended.
What filtration are you planning because this tank would need serious over filtration at these stocking levels. And as others have said, a well as temperment and size, you have fish that want high flow, low flow, dense planting, open spaces, hot, cool, hard and soft water. This tank wouldn't work well.
250L: Tank Log
2 female Bristlenose Pleco, 24 Cherry Barbs 7M:17F, 4 Reticulated Flying Foxes, 17 Neon Tetra, 15 Lemon Tetra, 11 Yellow/Orange Cherry Shrimp, 1 Zebra Nerite Snail, 3 Olve Nerite Snails, 4 Horned Nerite snails, 25 Amano Shrimp, Many Malaysian Trumpet Snails - AqAdvisor
SPACKlick
Posting Legend
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 412 times

Ok, I've dug through a couple of books and websites and here are your biggest clashes on water parameters. Very few of these values are from personal experience but I will say that usually these ranges are overbroad and it's best to keep fish towards the middle of their tolerated range where possible. And particularly not to be extreme on several parameters.

Temperature
WCMM should Ideally be kept below 22degrees, Panda Corys like it below 24
Angelfish, Kribensis, Rams (and to a lesser extent Cardinal tetras) will want it hotter than that.

pH
Kuhli Loach need the water to be acidic, they are very disease prone in alkali water.
Platys like alkali water, acidic water shortens lifespans

Hardness
Kuhli Loaches and Rams like water reasonably soft (max 8.5 dGH but thriving better lower)
Platys need hard water, especially when breeding 10dgh minimum but thriving better higher

Flow
Hillstream loaches need high rates of flow. Bristlenoses like very oxygenated water which usually entails some flow. WCMM need strong flow
Gourami, Kuhlis and Rams don't appreciate high flow, and kuhlis especially do poorly with it.

Substrate
You're ok on this one, dark soft sand, with large smooth rocks for algae to grow on for the hillstream, and bogwood for the bristlenose, with plenty of caves and sight blockers so species can form territory could just about work

Planting
Gouramis like plenty of cover, Angelfish like a fair few plants around, Cardinals and harlequins like some plants to hide among. Hillstream loaches don't like plants in the water.

Lighting.
Hillstream loaches like it bright, and you'll need it bright to grow the algae for them. Dwarf Gourami and Kuhli loaches need it dim. and amazonian fish like Cories do best with reduced lighting.

If you lost the Hillstream, the WCMM, the Kuhlis and the Ram.

A tank with hardness 10 - 12, at 24degrees exactly, with pH 7-7.3, heavy plant cover and dim lighting with gentle flow would be tolerable for the remaining fish if it was big enough. And if you didn't have to worry about territorial issues with the gourami or kribs.
Last edited by SPACKlick on Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
250L: Tank Log
2 female Bristlenose Pleco, 24 Cherry Barbs 7M:17F, 4 Reticulated Flying Foxes, 17 Neon Tetra, 15 Lemon Tetra, 11 Yellow/Orange Cherry Shrimp, 1 Zebra Nerite Snail, 3 Olve Nerite Snails, 4 Horned Nerite snails, 25 Amano Shrimp, Many Malaysian Trumpet Snails - AqAdvisor
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5086 times
Been liked: 3435 times

SPACKlick wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 23:42 pm
pH
Kuhli Loach need the water to be acidic, they are very disease prone in alkali water.
Platys like alkali water, hard water shortens lifespans

Hardness
Kuhli Loaches and Rams like water reasonably soft (max 8.5 dGH but thriving better lower)
Platys need hard water, especially when breeding 10dgh minimum but thriving better higher
If that's a direct cut and paste, they have a problem. ;)
Platies need hard water as the second bit says, it's soft water that shortens lifespans as it causes liver and kidney problems.

Everyone is right about the mix problems.
An additional one is that I would never keep loaches and corys together again as the loaches can get very excited, especially at feeding time, and can accidentally hurt the corys with their opercular spines.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4275 times
Been liked: 3923 times

Piranhas! :grin:
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5086 times
Been liked: 3435 times

Martinspuddle wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:32 am Piranhas! :grin:
It's just not big enough...... ;) :D