What's happening in your garden this spring?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Forum suggestion always welcome. All things non-fishy related.
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1419 times
Been liked: 3414 times

Well done on catching Mr ratty ::thumbu::
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 11 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)

Powered by EHEIM
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5065 times
Been liked: 3426 times

All his mates'll be round with the baseball bats now...... ;)
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 696 times
Been liked: 1686 times

Get a border terrier. Mine is an expert in rat catching. She's had a few we didn't know about in the garden!
Instagram - @the.cornish.fishkeeper
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

Thought I’d revive this seeing as it’s spring time!!

The alliums are looking awesome this year and the wild patch just keeps getting better and better.

VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 1830 times

I just got a garden after years without having one. Turning it from lots of grass/dandelions/nettles/brambles into something nice. Lots of digging today to start creating a shrubbery at the far end (it’s 50+ foot long) and using some of the lifted turfs to build up an extension of the rockery my mum started off.

What the council strimmed it down to before I moved in: Image

How my mum left it for me after a visit:

And now I’m undoing some of her hard work:

But the flowers in my reclaimed wheelbarrow planter out the front are looking nice at least 🤣

240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

These alliums get better and better 😁
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5448 times
Been liked: 2668 times

We’ll I’ve not done much with the garden for a while. Our patch I’d left for some time and it had mostly grown over with grass and crap and it had started to get us down a bit. Especially as Smudge is there.
And now with my OH working from home 50% of the time shes got into it a bit more starting with houseplants (she has had a few for quite a while), but now moved to the garden, which has resparked my interest.
So through most of the spring we haven’t done huge amounts, although we did keep the local bird population going. We had several families of starlings and house sparrows relying on us and our feeder. We had over 30 in the garden at one point and one particular starling had 5 youngsters all shouting at her (we’re assuming her) 😳
But in the past few weeks we have kicked plans into action, we have bought quite a few plants both house and garden. Several of the garden plants I have never tried before so should be interesting, also my mate from work gave us a twisted willow and my OH’s best mate gave us some strawberries :D
The plan is to build up our patch into a box/container, I have 120kg of soil arriving tomorrow, just need to get the wood together to make the border. Then hopefully I can plant the plants and have a proper little flower patch (in memory of Smudge). We have a lot more plans than that but one thing at a time ROFL
Anyway I’ll stop babbling, here’s some pictures. Things have gone from:

To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
Staffylover
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 2275 times
Been liked: 1945 times

Plant I am enjoying most at the moment in my garden is the giant grass,

This week I spent some time sorting out the pot display on the patio, I have built these up over years and have just been given another 6! It's mostly annual plants in them which is quite time consuming but only once a year as I don't bother with a winter display,

I have a number of flower beds in the garden, they are all raised or at least mounded up which makes things a bit easier, for years it was just shrubs, then I tried and failed with veg, then a couple of years ago I converted the 'veg beds' to perennial flowers which I enjoy a lot more, but I can't really give it the needed time, so it always looks like a larger version of a jungle effect aquarium, now and again I blitz it so I just about keep it under control, I am still trying out plants to see what really works on my very thin and dry soil, and what I like, Salvia's tend to do well but they are still in bud at the moment, Foxgloves however are in full flower, this year I have a load of self seeded ones come up, and they look amazing! I am already planning how I can achieve this on purpose so have ordered some plug plants online, and will also save some of the seed :happy:

500l - Africa river - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6873
2x200l - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=7790
Others - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewto ... =15&t=7411
230L 6ft - Shallow stream
Roma 125l - Holding fish
Qubiq 60 - Dwarf Spotted Danio
40l/25L - Black- bellied Limia/Pygmy Sunfish
SPACKlick
Posting Legend
Has liked: 399 times
Been liked: 412 times

Had quite a few things bloom.

Rose bushes have had their first flower, plenty more to come. Slight outbreak of green aphids at the moment, hopefully not enough to do damage. Might collect some and offer them to the tetras.
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Camelia has had some lovely flowers (The tulips have all gone now)
ImageImage

The Tiarella is looking wonderfully fluffy

Bleeding Heart Dicentra is a new addition
ImageImage

Lupin's have gone absoluteley nuts this year.

I would recommend Bonfire Begonia to everyone, the photos do not do justice to how ludicrously bright the Orange flowers are. They look synthetic.

Some pansies and violets

And the cornflowers mean we have bees all over the garden
250L: Tank Log
2 female Bristlenose Pleco, 24 Cherry Barbs 7M:17F, 4 Reticulated Flying Foxes, 17 Neon Tetra, 15 Lemon Tetra, 11 Yellow/Orange Cherry Shrimp, 1 Zebra Nerite Snail, 3 Olve Nerite Snails, 4 Horned Nerite snails, 25 Amano Shrimp, Many Malaysian Trumpet Snails - AqAdvisor
SPACKlick
Posting Legend
Has liked: 399 times
Been liked: 412 times

Roses are really starting to go or it this week and the smell of them is wafting round the whole house. Very happy with myself. Just need to remember to prune them hard at the end of the season so we get it this good next year.

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage
250L: Tank Log
2 female Bristlenose Pleco, 24 Cherry Barbs 7M:17F, 4 Reticulated Flying Foxes, 17 Neon Tetra, 15 Lemon Tetra, 11 Yellow/Orange Cherry Shrimp, 1 Zebra Nerite Snail, 3 Olve Nerite Snails, 4 Horned Nerite snails, 25 Amano Shrimp, Many Malaysian Trumpet Snails - AqAdvisor