pH Differences tap to tank

Request information on fish, plants or other aquarium issues.
SPACKlick
Posting Legend
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 412 times

I've just changed my CO2 injection from diffuser to reactor and so am monitoring pH pretty closely. But I'm a little confused about a result I got.

In my tank in the morning before the CO2 comes on the pH is around 7.6. Offgassed (left for 36 hours) it rises to about 8.0. At peak injection it drops to about 6.6 although I'm trying to dial that back to 6.8 because I'm not pushing for massive plant growth.

I just tested my tap water and out the tap it's 6.6 leaning to 6.4. Two and a half years ago when I started this tank the tap was 7.5. I'm going to leave some tap water overnight to offgas to see what it will look like at that point.

Is it usual for tank pH to be so much higher than tap pH? I have inert substrate, 1 piece of lava rock, lots of bogwood, plants and add a small amount of cuttlebone on occasion for the shrimps and snails. I can't think what would be rasing the pH in the tank above tap water so.
250L: Tank Log
2 female Bristlenose Pleco, 24 Cherry Barbs 7M:17F, 4 Reticulated Flying Foxes, 17 Neon Tetra, 15 Lemon Tetra, 11 Yellow/Orange Cherry Shrimp, 1 Zebra Nerite Snail, 3 Olve Nerite Snails, 4 Horned Nerite snails, 25 Amano Shrimp, Many Malaysian Trumpet Snails - AqAdvisor
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5091 times
Been liked: 3436 times

How soft is the water now?
If it's been changed to an acidic source it may interact with things in the tank to produce a higher ph, but it would normally make it harder to do that anyway.
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
SPACKlick
Posting Legend

Tank: KH = 3 (3.5 maybe) | GH = 9
Tap : KH = 4 | GH = 8
2 female Bristlenose Pleco, 24 Cherry Barbs 7M:17F, 4 Reticulated Flying Foxes, 17 Neon Tetra, 15 Lemon Tetra, 11 Yellow/Orange Cherry Shrimp, 1 Zebra Nerite Snail, 3 Olve Nerite Snails, 4 Horned Nerite snails, 25 Amano Shrimp, Many Malaysian Trumpet Snails - AqAdvisor
Andy7
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 7 times

Cuttlebone has calcium carbonate in it which raise the KH. I am just wondering, but maybe it is the carbonate which is affecting pH? Can't think of anything else it might be.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod

Cuttlebone won't make any noticeable difference, certainly not that much of a change in ph from 6.5 to 7.5, that's a change of around 1000% if my brain has put all the numbers in the right order, unless there's a whole crushed cuttlebone....then it may make a small difference. ;)
The only other thing I can think of is that the filter "munchers" are working overtime, but that would normally make the ph crash like it does in cycles.

Ian
Andy7
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 7 times

Yeah, 1,000% is rather a lot. I would have said that, but my head can't count that high.
Andys temperate tank
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Has liked: 4378 times
Been liked: 2896 times

It happened to me once.

My water is similar to yours. It was my "inert" substrate that was doing it. I'm not saying it is the cause of yours but it might be worth having 2 containers of tap water left for a while but put a hand full of your sand in one.
64l kitchen tank: 16 golden tetra.
5ft 425L: 3 blue angel fish, 30 rummie nose tetra, 20 black neon tetra, 1 longfin bristlenose plec, 2 corydoras sterbai, 24 corydoras duplicareas,2 SAE.
SPACKlick
Posting Legend

OK, having left some tap water to offgas for about 20 hours its pH raised to 7.9 ish. So I think the local water has just changed somewhat and there's something in there bringing the pH down as it comes out of the tap.

This does bode some concern for water changes because I usually hose water straight into the tank for a big change...
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod

That makes sense now, they must be pumping CO2 or similar to bring the ph down to stop corrosion in the main pipes (although it flows so quickly through you'd think it didn't need to go that low....??).

Ian
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1800 times
Been liked: 4287 times

bit of extra co2 in the tank wont hurt :)