Only just put water in my tank.

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
Saralouise2775
Been liked: 1 time

Not been 48 hours yet since I filled up the tank. What's peoples best guess as to the colour of my water.

Is it the Sand, the wood to much natural light or a combination of the three. Maybe I should just start over but then I wasted my filter start ( I poured to much in and spilled some)
John Linklater
Has liked: 250 times
Been liked: 91 times

There’ll be someone more experienced along in a bit but it’s sand in my opinion. Did you rinse/wash it?

the wood will also leach tannins but it doesn’t look like that to me. The sand will eventually clear up with water changes and the wood will stop producing tannins. Everything just takes time.
Chris_jennings
Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 110 times

Patience :happy:
SPACKlick
Posting Legend
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 412 times

Could be dust from the sand, in which case give it a week and it should settle out. Could be a bacterial bloom, in which case give it a week and it should exhaust itself and get outcompeted by the bacteria you're deliberately growing.

Is there good surface movement from your filter outlet? Keeping the tank oxygenated can help grow the right microbes. Don't change the water yet, let it play out and see if anything changes. Unless there are live plants in the tank keep the lights off for now.
250L: Tank Log
2 female Bristlenose Pleco, 24 Cherry Barbs 7M:17F, 4 Reticulated Flying Foxes, 17 Neon Tetra, 15 Lemon Tetra, 11 Yellow/Orange Cherry Shrimp, 1 Zebra Nerite Snail, 3 Olve Nerite Snails, 4 Horned Nerite snails, 25 Amano Shrimp, Many Malaysian Trumpet Snails - AqAdvisor
Lo1
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 223 times

Saralouise2775 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 15:23 pm Not been 48 hours yet since I filled up the tank. What's peoples best guess as to the colour of my water.

Is it the Sand, the wood to much natural light or a combination of the three. Maybe I should just start over but then I wasted my filter start ( I poured to much in and spilled some)
What filtration system are you running on that tank?
:swim: :swim2: :swim:

NACD OptiWhite Aquarium 140l,
F Zone Stainless Steel 15l filter,
Eheim powerLED+ fresh daylight,
Eheim powerLED+ fresh plants,
AI Nero 3 Powerhead,
Twinstar Nano Sterilizer,
Co2 Art PRO-SE.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5091 times
Been liked: 3436 times

Two (other) questions:
Did you manage to get the tank rinsed out well before you added everything, and did you use a dechlorinator before adding the Filter Start (is is the JBL stuff?)? Sorry, that's three questions.... ;) :D
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1800 times
Been liked: 4287 times

I’d say wait it out. Dust from sand usually settles and if bacteria, will clear after a few days.

What colour is the cloudiness with the light on? Orange/brown would be dust from the sand and white would more likely be bacteria bloom.
Drifty
Posting Legend
Has liked: 2124 times
Been liked: 761 times

nothing to worry about there wait it out
Create Not Hate