A Fresh Start

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
BalloonMolly
Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 46 times

I'll be picking up a Fluval Flex 57L next weekend and am starting to prepare.

Stocking will be a male Betta so I appreciate I will need to fiddle about with the filter outlet to make sure the flow isn't too strong. I was hoping for a long-finned variety but will see how strong the flow is during cycling to determine whether I can suitably adjust.

Picked up some hardscape today as I'm really keen to get aquascaping (albeit in a fairly low-tech capacity).

My main question at the moment regards a tank stand. I've checked floor joists etc. to ensure I've got a good position for the tank as I may be having a larger community near to it as well in the future. I don't believe that the tank will come with a stand - in which case, what sort of furniture might be suitable for something that weighs around 70kg?
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5068 times
Been liked: 3427 times

I've used a flat-pack TV stand for what started out for a 2' tank which got upgraded to a 2.5' when the original started leaking.
I think you can get stands for the Flex, but they don't seem to be that cheap. (£105 from P@H)
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
BalloonMolly

Thanks plankton.

I did wonder whether flat-pack from particular yellow-and-blue-logo'ed brands might be suitable since they're much more affordable...

Also, if I'm honest, I'm not a fan of the "wiggly" Flex stands either. :rofl:
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 862 times
Been liked: 1832 times

I had a betta in a 57L flex and the filter was fine for him (didn’t get pushed around or anything).

I went for the official stand just because of the space it needed to fit into. I’ve had a 29L on a Trofast unit with no issues and I have a large printer (Epson EcoTank) on a kallax unit quite happily…
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.
BalloonMolly

Thanks VM!
BalloonMolly

Trying to get used to keeping a log again so don't mind the fairly bland upcoming posts. :P

Had a go at checking to see if my old API Test Kit still work despite the 2020 expiry date...

Apparently my local tapwater should show:
pH - 7.6
Nitrate - 19ppm

My results:
pH - 7.4 - 7.6 so maybe accurate but not precise? (And why can't I seem to ever live anywhere that isn't in between the two pH test ranges? :rofl: )
Nitrate - 2ppm, AND I shook the bottles really hard and everything

So I'll be getting some new ones just to be sure I don't miss anything.

In other news, I bought some hardscape last weekend: some nice red root-type-thing and black pebbles. Thought I'd try something new... then some family visited me and delivered some of my old equipment, low and behold I already had about 8kg of the same type of stones!

Wood's been fully submerged and soaking for about a week now and it's still floating. I think I recall that spider wood, redmoor root etc. can take a few weeks to fully sink? so I'm not worried.

Should be picking the tank and remaining equipment and décor up in a couple of days but might have a couple of questions about plants coming soon.
SPACKlick
Posting Legend
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 412 times

Just checking, how did you get a 2ppm on the API Nitrate test? The lowest distinct mark is 5ppm... Are you sure you weren't reading the 20ppm square which would be basically spot on?
250L: Tank Log
2 female Bristlenose Pleco, 24 Cherry Barbs 7M:17F, 4 Reticulated Flying Foxes, 17 Neon Tetra, 15 Lemon Tetra, 11 Yellow/Orange Cherry Shrimp, 1 Zebra Nerite Snail, 3 Olve Nerite Snails, 4 Horned Nerite snails, 25 Amano Shrimp, Many Malaysian Trumpet Snails - AqAdvisor
BalloonMolly

SPACKlick wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 17:56 pm Just checking, how did you get a 2ppm on the API Nitrate test? The lowest distinct mark is 5ppm... Are you sure you weren't reading the 20ppm square which would be basically spot on?
I interpolated because the colour was slightly closer to 0ppm than 5ppm. Not nearly dark enough for 20ppm, else I'd be happy that the indicator might still be useable.
BalloonMolly

Here's my "cosy corner". I picked up the tank on Saturday and tested it for leaks overnight last night. Added in the wood and some hornwort that was generously given to me (along with a fair bit of Monte Carlo which I currently have growing immersed on a heat mat until I can get some more substrate).

Was very glad to learn that the tank came with Bug Bites, a heater and water conditioner. Anyone know whether the Fluval munchers-in-a-bottle are any good?

Still need to sort out a stand - seems likely that I'll make a custom one myself as another project. After that, I'll start cycling. :D

Staffylover
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 2280 times
Been liked: 1946 times

I have used a couple of the bottle bacteria with some success, one was called Colony can't remember the other it was some years ago, it's not much of an issue for me at the moment but if I did want to get one now think I would try Goop from Trop Co that seems to be getting good reviews.
500l - Africa river - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6873
2x200l - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=7790
Others - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewto ... =15&t=7411
230L 6ft - Shallow stream
Roma 125l - Holding fish
Qubiq 60 - Dwarf Spotted Danio
40l/25L - Black- bellied Limia/Pygmy Sunfish