Just started

Tell us a bit about yourself!
Kiwarra
Has liked: 9 times

We have accepted a small (12L) children's tank with a few neon tetras, a shrimp, snails, a couple of overgrown plants, chemicals and basic accessories. It's not much but it's very exciting for us. With the cost of living as it is at the moment, this feels like a very special gift. Our 5 year old is enjoying reminding us about the need to feed the fish and counting out the micro pellets :laugh:

We've never kept fish before but I've always wanted a tall narrow tank with lots of plants and different species in a little ecosystem all supporting each other. This seemed like a baby step in that direction.

We're lucky to have an excellent local independent aquarium shop who have guided us so far. Even though we've never had an aquarium, we've spent a lot of time in there with our kids enjoying the displays. They tested our water on day 1, retested day 3 and gave us the all clear to add more tetra friends to the tank. Now we have 10 neon tetras, two types of plants, the shrimp and snails and some little red dots (visible on the flamingo). The red dots don't look like red algae, what could they be? The large snail seems to be dead but there's a lot of tiny ones about. Should I take out the big dead one?

fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1793 times
Been liked: 4249 times

welcome to AF-UK

My initial thought was snail eggs but the colour wouldn't make much sense. Do they move?

Make sure you're doing 25-30% water changes every week and be prepared to get a bigger tank :happy: 12L tanks aren't really suitable for fish long term as they do need much more room. Neons/Cardinals do prefer atleast a 2ft tank.

Do you have a test kit? if not then look at a liquid test kit including Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate tests as these will help you identify any water issues.
SPACKlick
Posting Legend
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 412 times

Those red dots look like snail eggs to me. I wonder if the colour comes from the decoration they're on. If the big snail is dead you should remove it It will foul the water very quickly. If you're not sure whether or not it's dead pop it in a glass dish with a little tank water and watch it for 15 minutes to see if it moves or latches onto the glass.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but your tank is too small for fish in the long term. Using back of the envelope calculations it's currently at about 226% stock. The neons need about 50cm of tank length in order to get up to speed and they are a reasonably active fish. You should be looking to get a 60 (or if you can afford it and have space 90) litre tank as soon as costs allow.

When you say you accepted the tank, has this tank been up and running for some time or is it new (specifically I'm asking if the filter has been running in a tank with fish in for more than a month or not).
250L: Tank Log
2 female Bristlenose Pleco, 24 Cherry Barbs 7M:17F, 4 Reticulated Flying Foxes, 17 Neon Tetra, 15 Lemon Tetra, 11 Yellow/Orange Cherry Shrimp, 1 Zebra Nerite Snail, 3 Olve Nerite Snails, 4 Horned Nerite snails, 25 Amano Shrimp, Many Malaysian Trumpet Snails - AqAdvisor
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1793 times
Been liked: 4249 times

Also regarding the snail, take it out and sniff it, You'll soon know!
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4263 times
Been liked: 3921 times

Greetings :] & welcome to AF-UK
fr499y wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 14:07 pm Also regarding the snail, take it out and sniff it, You'll soon know!
...and if doesn't stink, you must return the Nerite snail upright to the aquarium. Nerite snails are not very good at right themselves and will die.

Nerite snails are known for not moving for days sometimes, so not unusual with this snail species.

Image courtesy from Pro Shrimp

These are Nerite snail eggs covered in algae. I suspect it's brown diatom algae. My Nerite snail eggs are often covered in algae, brown, sometimes green or even yellow green colour. These won't produce any snail larvae as they require brackish water to reliably hatch. I wouldn't worry about these eggs, in time they will deteriorate and fall off. Nerite snails a very good for algae control.

The smaller snails are Bladder Snails, they will become a bit of a breeding nuisance as they are hermaphroditic and this species will very quickly overwhelm the tank.

To control and remove the Bladder Snails (when your little one is looking) hang a small piece of lettuce, kale or cabbage in your aquarium preferably in the evening, remove leaf covered in snails in the morning.

Seeing as your new to the hobby and your newly enquired aquarium is tad small for current stock do look at the forum guides on fishkeeping here: Aquarium Forums UK Guides
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Bluetaurus
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 76 times

Welcome to the forum
Superfish home 110 ,Superfish aqua pro 300 filter, + APS hob 500 filter.
Low tech set up.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5077 times
Been liked: 3432 times

Welcome to the forum. :)
Definitely nerite eggs, some of which have tried to hatch (it won't be successful in freshwater, as a rule) which gives them a funny colour sometimes because of reflection of colours in and around the tank.
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

Hi, welcome to the forum. I would upgrade to a bigger tank asap.
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 863 times
Been liked: 1832 times

Another voice saying you are not getting good advice AT ALL from your store! 12L is half the size of my first nano tank that was pretty much overstocked when it had 8 white cloud mountain minnows in it.
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.
Kiwarra
Has liked: 9 times

No, the red dots don't move.

We get free testing at our local shop.
fr499y wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 13:41 pm welcome to AF-UK

My initial thought was snail eggs but the colour wouldn't make much sense. Do they move?

Make sure you're doing 25-30% water changes every week and be prepared to get a bigger tank :happy: 12L tanks aren't really suitable for fish long term as they do need much more room. Neons/Cardinals do prefer atleast a 2ft tank.

Do you have a test kit? if not then look at a liquid test kit including Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate tests as these will help you identify any water issues.