Unexplained Blue Water (Not The Shopping Centre)

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

plankton wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:40 am Just over a year seems pretty early to me for a sponge to start breaking down, unless it was in storage for several years previous to sale.
It does seem a long shot. But using Sherlock Holmes’s method... eliminate all the non-causes and what’s left must be the cause... I’m thinking it’s remotely possible that some sponges sold on certain online sites by certain less than scrupulous vendors might not be entirely suitable for aquatic use...
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4264 times
Been liked: 3921 times

Roy's Mum wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 21:26 pm You can't really see it's blue in a 5ml sample test tube, but a litre in a white bucket is enough to see it's blue. It's almost like someone has splashed some mouthwash into it, it's that sort of blue (but no, I haven't, and if I had I'm sure it'd smell minty 😉)
Question, can you post a picture of the test file and in the bucket. I take it the fish are not showing signs of stress?
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5079 times
Been liked: 3433 times

Martinspuddle wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:11 am
Roy's Mum wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 21:26 pm You can't really see it's blue in a 5ml sample test tube, but a litre in a white bucket is enough to see it's blue. It's almost like someone has splashed some mouthwash into it, it's that sort of blue (but no, I haven't, and if I had I'm sure it'd smell minty 😉)
Question, can you post a picture of the test file and in the bucket. I take it the fish are not showing signs of stress?
Also a pic of the tank?
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Roy's Mum
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 3 times

Will do, I'm out straight from work tonight but will do it in daylight tomorrow morning.
SPACKlick
Posting Legend
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 412 times

Tetraplus tap water conditioner turns water blue if you overdose it (The product itself is blue). I don't know if Aquacare does the same but Is it possible you're overdosing on water conditioner?
250L: Tank Log
2 female Bristlenose Pleco, 24 Cherry Barbs 7M:17F, 4 Reticulated Flying Foxes, 17 Neon Tetra, 15 Lemon Tetra, 11 Yellow/Orange Cherry Shrimp, 1 Zebra Nerite Snail, 3 Olve Nerite Snails, 4 Horned Nerite snails, 25 Amano Shrimp, Many Malaysian Trumpet Snails - AqAdvisor
Martinspuddle

Roy's Mum wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 15:28 pm Will do, I'm out straight from work tonight but will do it in daylight tomorrow morning.
💤 ...still waiting. :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Roy's Mum

Sorry - I took the photo but my kitchen is being renovated so it totally dropped off my list. Anyway, here they are. As you can see, it's a weirdy blue. The small changes seem to lessen it a bit but I think if I left it, it would still blue itself again.

Roy's Mum

SPACKlick wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 19:31 pm Tetraplus tap water conditioner turns water blue if you overdose it (The product itself is blue). I don't know if Aquacare does the same but Is it possible you're overdosing on water conditioner?
Hmm, don't think so? I use the Aquacare which isn't blue, and I've always done it the same way, so again I'm not sure why it would suddenly start happening after a year or so. I do have a different one I could switch to so I'll try that. Thanks for the suggestion.
Martinspuddle

Can you list what's in the offending aquarium, equipment, plants, hardscape etc. I take it the fish are showing no ill effects still from this water?

Whatever it is, it has to be in that aquarium, if your seconded tank is not blue colour and definitely not the tapwater supply.
Roy's Mum

There is gravel that is a variety of beige and brown natural colours, two plastic plants, a barrel, an anchor and a fake bit of coral. There's a filter with sponges and a heater. The other tank is a planted one which I guess helps!