Lemon Tetra Sex Ratio

Tetras, Hatchetfish, Pencilfish, Other Characin Fish (Silver Dollar, Headstander, Leporinus)
SPACKlick
Posting Legend
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 412 times

I've had my 15 lemon Tetras for about 10 months and now they're showing clear sexual dimorphism I realise I have 12 males and 3 females. Two of the males are just starting to get their yellow colour in the body and males often display at one another and claim prime spots to display in the tank. I've seen no signs of bullying or distress in any of them but still 4:1 ratio isn't what I'd have planned. Does anyone have experience with these or closely related tetra in such an off balance sex ratio?
250L: Tank Log
2 female Bristlenose Pleco, 24 Cherry Barbs 7M:17F, 4 Reticulated Flying Foxes, 17 Neon Tetra, 15 Lemon Tetra, 11 Yellow/Orange Cherry Shrimp, 1 Zebra Nerite Snail, 3 Olve Nerite Snails, 4 Horned Nerite snails, 25 Amano Shrimp, Many Malaysian Trumpet Snails - AqAdvisor
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4263 times
Been liked: 3921 times

SPACKlick wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 20:24 pm I've had my 15 lemon Tetras for about 10 months and now they're showing clear sexual dimorphism I realise I have 12 males and 3 females. Two of the males are just starting to get their yellow colour in the body and males often display at one another and claim prime spots to display in the tank. I've seen no signs of bullying or distress in any of them but still 4:1 ratio isn't what I'd have planned. Does anyone have experience with these or closely related tetra in such an off balance sex ratio?
Lucky girls! :grin: Ideally one to two males per female.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5077 times
Been liked: 3432 times

I'm not sur it matters that much with most tetras, although it's usually less agitated if there's more females than males.
When I had lemons it didn't seem to be a problem whatever the ratio was.
The emperors are different, one male has decided he's the boss and tends to herd the females and other male during the day.
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian