Water But leeching/contaminating water?

The science behind successful fishkeeping.
AquaStu

Hi peeps,

This is my first post here so be gentle :laugh:
I have an issue/concern I was hoping I could get some advice on?

So I have a 100L plastic water but in the house near my 270L aquarium. The purpose of this is just to allow the water inside the but to adjust to room temp before I use it for my weekly 20% - 30% water changes. (The cold water comes out the tap ice cold atm so am worried this could shock the fish)
I have an air pump inside (just to keep the water moving) and also dose this with API Aqua Essential so the water is in theory safe/ready to go straight into my aquarium.

However their is a very strong smell coming from inside the but - The only way I can describe it is as a "Chemical" smell, It is definitely coming from the plastic and I'm obviously worried about putting this water in my aquarium. In case the plastic has leeched something toxic into the water.

Please feel free to give feedback on my method, I am always happy to take any/all constructive feedback on board.
I would also like to know how I would go about testing for anything that may be leeching from the plastic?
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1802 times
Been liked: 4288 times

Check it to see if there’s any markings to say food grade as that’s what you’ll need for storing water. If it’s not food grade, then I wouldn’t use it.
YnotFish
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 11 times

I did some Googling (well actually, I did some "DuckDuckGoing") and found this helpful pic:
Cheers!
YnotFish :cool:
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 3927 times

Greetings :] & welcome to AF-UK

I'll say hello even though the others forgot. :dodgy2:
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5091 times
Been liked: 3436 times

Welcome to the forum. :)
Yup, everything must be food grade for fish use.
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Bluetaurus
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 76 times

Hello and welcome
Superfish home 110 ,Superfish aqua pro 300 filter, + APS hob 500 filter.
Low tech set up.
YnotFish
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 11 times

ahem... and welcome! :swim:
Cheers!
YnotFish :cool:
AquaStu

Thanks for welcoming me to the forum :D

Appreciate everyone taking the time to reply, This has been very helpful!

I think I'll just replace the water that I have with a new one and make sure it is food safe this time. (I'll also take advantage and get a larger but this time)
Tbh I didn't even think about it when brought my water but but it makes perfect sense in hindsight.

Thanks again, If anyone has any suggestions where I can get a food safe water but please let me know.
DuzMano
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 26 times

Duz "'Scape Noob" Mano

Duz Mano's Leddy XL
mikeyboy123
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 46 times

I use this sort of thing to collect rainwater for use in my aquariums:- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/404796515291 ... Swte5l8ZVU

They come in different sizes.

It was pretty easy to drill to fit the inlet pipe and tap. The only thing is, it has a bit of a curve toward the bottom which made it a little tricky to position the tap.

I did previously use a standard water butt for the same purpose and it was fine, although it had been used for many years to collect water for the garden before I started using it for the aquarium, and so it's possible that any potentially harmful chemicals would have leached out by the time I started using it for the aquarium water.